X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • barry33781@yahoo.com
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2012

What would you improve?

If you would improve the 3100, what would you change, add, or improve?
    The sears model has added wheels and miter slots.
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

T-Miter slots on both sides of the blade.
    A guard like a shark guard too.

I have a Craftsman 21829. There are miter slots on the accessory table, but they really can't be used with the saw as there is no way to align them to the blade.
    Erik

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Not in order of priority, but the following:

I would have placed the latch differently on the accessory table, where it doesn't interfer with the movement of the rip fence.

An indicator or mark on the table that would would provide positioning the front rail so the measurement would properly align when returned to it's normal position.

A lower-cost, more universally available drive belt.

An additional matching accessory table for 'filling the gap'

"Accessories" that were ACTUALLY available... there was a good list, but no source that I could ever find.

A two-position SMT fence as used on their BTS21 and recently released RTS31 portable saws.

I really love my BT3100-1, but these things I would have loved to see. But even without them, I still think this is one of the most outstanding saws ever to be on the market.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

If I could take command of the wheel as it were at Ryobi and design say a BT3200 per se... I would probably..

#1. Bring back a square stand. I liked that design MUCH better than the splayed leg stand...
        #2. Cast iron tables, milled smooth, and full depth. With both slots, and SMT.
        #3. Normal table saw motor, that can be easily and affordably replaced, not the thing they stuck on the BT3000 / BT3100. I actually don't mind the BT motor other than it is rather spendy to replace once it dies, meaning typically the saw is history afterwards.
        #4. Factory Shark Guard.
        #5. Improved accessories. Particularly the router fence accessory.
        #6. UHMW sacrificial fence face accessory.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jdon
          Established Member
          • Feb 2010
          • Snoqualmie, Wash.
          • BT3100

1. Rip fence with better locking design (no tendency to rise and tilt when locking), and higher fence.

2. Easier SMT alignment; increased crosscut capacity.

3. Coplanar SMT, accessory and main tables.

4. Better design of casters, to decrease amount of lift needed to clear feet.

5. left tilt blade, while we're wishing?

Comment

• ccoach
            Handtools only
            • Sep 2012

I too have a 21829 (thanks to wonderfully fantastic benefactor!!), in addition to a 3000 and 3100...

Those rails are a wee-bit longer than the 3100's, and they're just about perfect... But... I would like a set of 60" rails for the little extra elbow room - especially off to the left. That would provide some bit of additional support for my new smt fence extensions, without having to get into such long rails that they become a pain in my Awfully Small Shop.

Other items on my list:
            • In-feed and Out-feed table connectors!!!
              My safety factor went up 1000% when I finally after way too long figured out how to create a functional out-feed table!!!
              Having the connectors would make the new owners able to have this level of safety right on day ONE!
              And enough connectors to make an in-feed table too - which can actually be a router OUT-feed which is invaluable when dealing with long stock or large cabinet doors.
            • SMT fence extension kit!! Just simple instructions, with pictures and those funky t-bolts/nuts (or at least tell the new owner to simply grind 2 opposing sides of a standard hex nut as an easy work-around)
              And include a couple of standard t-track flip-up stops while you're at it. This increases the value and functionality of the machine for achieving nice clean, repeatable cross-cuts!
            • Include the changes that are found in the 21829, like the little longer rails, extra deep smt settings (up to 21"+ on a cross-cut), and a (STANDARD/universal) router mounting / accessory kit
            • Fold-up stand - most of us guys share their shop space with stupid stuff like cars. The folding stand is the BEST.

These, plus the other contributions would make for a an even more out-standing product!

Scott

Comment

Working...