• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Denco
    • Mar 2003
    • Coming soon: California
    • BT3100

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

Even with my break from woodworking, I've continued to use my Bt3100 for home remodeling. Well, I'm back to woodworking now.

I'm buliding a router table. I was running a piece of wood over the table saw and the clamp on my rip fence decides to break half-way through the cut. The fence goes kitty wompus, The wood cocks askew and the fence flings off the table, hits the cement floor, and snaps into 2 or 3 pieces. It's done for.

I don't tend to over-clamp or put excessive pressure on the fence. Not sure why this happened unless some pin that holds the lamp had been shearing or something, but my first priority was to get out of the way. I'll do the post mortem on the fence later on.

So, I priced fences and the lowest prices I've seen is $80. Would this be a good time to look into getting a different style fence or is the factory fence the only fence that will fit on the BT3100?

Would be very interested in suggestions about a new fence. If anyone is selling their rip fence, I'd be interested in speaking as well. Thanks.-Den
    *****Measure twice, cut once.....rats, back to the lumber yard.*****
  • Old Dutchman
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2011
    • Holland Mi
    • My BT3000

Build Your own!

At this point, if I were You, I would make a cut=off sled. It can be made to slide on each edge of the saw table, with adjustable Miter sled. You can enlarge the mitre Gage and set it up like the BT3000 sled is set. A good mitre sled cost a good chunk of change, these days, and with a little time set aside forgetting a reliable sled working great would be what I would like to do. BY the way, there is a lot of information available to get a handle on how You can get it done. A paper back book called Cutting Edge table saw tips, and tricks is available, plus many more that can give You great ideas, or plans. My BT 3000 has been working with out a problem for about Fifteen years! Oh, Should not say that, I find that saying something like that can cause problems!
    I have Hope, and I am Thankfull! Consider WhoWhoGreated it ALL

Comment

• Joe DeFazio
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2006
      • Pittsburgh, PA
      • BT3100

Sorry it happened, but the most important thing is you apparently weren't injured, thankfully! This kind of accident can be very dangerous.

There are plenty of folks here who part out their BT series saws when they upgrade, so you might be able to find a replacement fence here if you look around. That might be your cheapest and most hassle-free option, as the BT series is a little different in construction than the cast-iron saws for which the aftermarket fences were designed.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

We seem to go about 2 to 3 months without a "parting out" sale of a BT and then we will have a couple in about a 2 week span. I don't remember what the rip fences have been going for but it seems like $30 - $45. or so.

As far as third party, there aren't any for the BT3X00. There was one offered about 10 years ago but it did not go over well.
        Last edited by leehljp; 04-15-2012, 08:34 PM.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• BobSch
          • Aug 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Den,

I've got an extra rip fence. I'll contact you when I get home tomorrow.

Bob
          Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Denco
            • Mar 2003
            • BT3100

Thanks Bob.

Comment

• Old Dutchman
              Forum Newbie
              • Oct 2011
              • Holland Mi
              • My BT3000

Ok

Boy; Did I read that one wrong, Denco! I was just reading about someone who built a SMT! I guess I should keep MY mouth trimmed
              I have Hope, and I am Thankfull! Consider WhoWhoGreated it ALL

Comment

• Denco
                • Mar 2003
                • BT3100

Originally posted by Old Dutchman
                Boy; Did I read that one wrong, Denco! I was just reading about someone who built a SMT! I guess I should keep MY mouth trimmed
                LOL. No worries, Dutchman. I do stuff like that all the time.

For what it's worth, I do have a sled that I made.

Comment

Working...