• Show
Clear All
  • Chinook
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2004
    • Maple Valley, WA, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Troubleshooting Help

I have a BT3100 that's about 7 years old. Yesterday I was cutting a piece of Brazillian cherry and I got the blade stuck at the tail end of the cut. Finally worked the piece loose from the blade and now the motor runs but the blade does not turn. The blade will spin freely but does not move via the motor.

I've searched the forums and my best guess is that I've lost the belts (which is disturbing given the posts about how 'easy' it is to replace them).

Does this sound like the right diagnosis to any of you who have had belt trouble or am I barking up the wrong tree? Has anyone experienced the same symptoms and what was the root cause?

For those who chose the repair shop route in lieu of replacing belts themselves what was approximate cost for parts and labor?

All kind advice is most appreciated as I just got back into using my BT3100 and am disappointed that it's out of commission.

Thanks, in advance!
    -Bryan

<"))))>{

I've cut it twice and it's still too short!?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

sounds like you broke the belts.
    they run about $10 each and you need 2 of them and they're unique Ryobi belts.
    you need to find an authorized Ryobi parts dealer.

the root cause is you locked up the blade and the belts broke ($20) to protect the motor from burning out ($200). Suddenly sounds better?

The best advise I seen is to use a 3/4" wrench or ratchet on the end of the arbor and nut to walk the belts onto the pulleys.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-14-2012, 02:01 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

Sears at least used to sell the belts, they probably still do. They are pretty convient to order from.

You can see the belts if you take the throat plate and blade off looking from above. If all you see to the right of the blade washer is the pulley, then the belts are gone. The belts are amber colored. The motor sits under the arbor pulley so so you won't see it's pulley from above.

Replacement is a bit frustrating but not really hard. It doesn't require special tools, just some patience. You have to disassemble the saw a bit to get good access but I think most people can do this, they just won't enjoy it a lot. I rolled them on and used a wood block to tap them across the pulleys. You have to be gentle with the belts (i.e. tap them, not beat on them).

Jim

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

If it helps Sears a few years ago had a parts center close to you in Kent.
        Good luck and report back or ask away if you need more help.
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Chinook
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2004
          • Maple Valley, WA, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks gents...looks like I'll be in search of some belts and a few hours to tear my saw limb from limb.
          -Bryan

<"))))>{

I've cut it twice and it's still too short!?

Comment

Working...