• Show
Clear All
  • jimmy0x52
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2012
    • NYC / PA
    • RIDGID Something or other

Incra T-Track and the Miter Slot Table

I did a little searching and couldn't find the answer, so ...

I bought some Incra T-Track at Woodcraft today hoping to install it in my new miter slot table to hold featherboards and stuff. When I got it home and fitted it, it sits about 1/16-1/8th inch higher than the table surface. This is obviously an issue.

Anyone know if there's an easy way to correct the miter table or incra track - or should I just take this stuff back and try something else? Anyone able to recommend track that sits flush and takes a hex-head bolt (like maybe the peachtree stuff?) Unfortunately I already cut one piece, but not the other one. I guess it's still useful in making jigs - just not for this! I might still use it to attach a router fence to my spacer table on the right by the router attachment.
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Where were you installing the T-track? in your new table insert to the right of the blade or in your Ryobi dual miter slot table to the left? I'm thinking you're talking about putting it in the DSMT. If not, just cut your dadoes a bit deeper in the MDF top. A 3/8" tall t-track might not be easy to find. Most are 1/2" or more. Eagle America and probably some others carry a mini t-track that is 3/8" tall. http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/..._track_t-track

I'll use something similar to these: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16423 for featherboards and such in my miter slots. I got mine with some benchdog featherboards.
    Last edited by pelligrini; 02-26-2012, 10:54 AM.
    Erik

Comment

• jimmy0x52
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2012
      • NYC / PA

Yeah dual miter slots. I think peachtree has minitrack.

If it was the MDF table I wouldn't be asking

Comment

• steve-norrell
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • The Great Land - Alaska
        • BT3100-1

Adding to Eric's comments . . . . .

I have used t-tracks from different manufacturers and found that it is very wise to wait until you have the tracks in hand before cutting the dados. There is enough variation in dimensions to warrant this precaution.

If the dado is too deep, you can use shims, either thin strips of wood or metal washers under the screw holes, to bring the track up to level with the surface. I personally prefer the t-track to be a tiny, tiny bit lower than the table surface.

While slight variation in depth may be acceptable, it is very important that the track be as parallel to the blade as you can make it. If the dado is too wide you can also use shims to compensate for side-to-side variations, keeping the need for parallel alignment in mind.

Good luck with your project -- its looking great.

Steve

Comment

• steve-norrell
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • The Great Land - Alaska
          • BT3100-1

Originally posted by jimmy0x52
          Yeah dual miter slots. I think peachtree has minitrack.

If it was the MDF table I wouldn't be asking
          Oops, just saw this post. I stopped using the dual miter slot tables because the tracks were not true T-tracks and things had a nasty habit of tipping out.

If I am reading your post correctly, you are planning to use the mini-tracks in the slots of the DSMT. I will look forward to seeing the results.

Steve./

Comment

• jimmy0x52
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2012
            • NYC / PA

So I put it into the table I made for the right side. Pics in the other thread momentarily.

Comment

Working...