Another new BT3000 owner with a question about the rip fence.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimmy0x52
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2012
    • NYC / PA
    • RIDGID Something or other

Another new BT3000 owner with a question about the rip fence.

I managed to score a BT3000 on Superbowl Sunday for $70 - which I think was not bad. Once I got it home and started playing with it I started to discover some of its "personality" in that since I was apparently the 3rd owner it hadn't been well taken care of. It was missing various latches and parts (like the entire miter fence and the latch for the router table) and pretty badly out of spec on the rails.

I had a question for you all: How does the backside of the rip fence attach to the rails? It would seem that it should clip onto the metal rail with that little tab hanging over the wheel, but mine doesn't seem to attach there. I'm not sure if there's some kind of adjustment I need to make but it doesn't seem like there's clearance between the little roller wheel and the tab hanging over it to fit in the groove.

Could someone explain, or take a picture, of how it attaches? Right now it sits above - and the fence seems pretty solid, but I just feel like it's not attached right.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

to begin with, try searching the forums here with "Rip fence clamping rear rail" and read thru some of those posts. Also, in self promotin I'd recommend you get my FAQ on the BT3 (see sig line below).

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Loring has written a great bit of information on the BT3 under his Facts.

Short story on the rip fence - it has "j" hook on the back end that sits in the channel and as the front handle is lowered, the "j" hook moves forward in the channel and locks the rear end in place while locking the front also.

Here is the manual for downloading. In it, you can see somewhat of how it works on page:
      14, 29, and 44.

Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• jimmy0x52
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2012
        • NYC / PA

Great thanks for the help. The more I start taking this saw apart, the more I'm convinced it's original owner had no idea what they had on their hands and didn't know how to properly adjust or take care of it.

The screw on the latch side (the side i'm concerned about) had been backed out and then re-screwed in so that it didn't even go in the hole where the pin and spring is from the main clamping mechanism. After I reset that it did sit in the track but clamping and unclamping the fence didn't move it (it's better in that it's in the fence, but not perfect as the clamp itself isn't moving with the lever.

I'll take the fence apart entirely and see if there's any parts missing or more things attached incorrectly.

Thanks again!

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

There are quite a few threads on the subject of the rip fence. There is a part in the front block named "clamper A" that if bent will prevent the correct operation of the rear clamper. manual here. When setting the rip fence on my saw I set the rear first, then lower the front. the rear clamper should hook under the the rear rail flat. Another common user error is over clamping the front. The handle only has to be lowered just past horizontal for it to work when the fence is adjusted properly. Some times it helps to compress the fence while assembling it.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

The best news I can give you on the rip fence is that once you get it adjusted, you probably will never have to do this again. I had a little trouble with mine clamping the back rail initially but it has worked well for about 10 years now. I occasionally reset it to parallel to the blade but I have never had to reset the clamping mechanism.

Jim

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by jimmy0x52
              I managed to score a BT3000 on Superbowl Sunday for $70 - which I think was not bad.
              I saw that ad. From what I saw in the pictures I figured it to have been abused. Glad someone got it that wants to get it back in proper condition.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• jimmy0x52
                Forum Newbie
                • Feb 2012
                • NYC / PA

Originally posted by Pappy
                I saw that ad. From what I saw in the pictures I figured it to have been abused. Glad someone got it that wants to get it back in proper condition.
                Yep - I plan on it! About $70 in parts so far for various things. It should be great when I'm done putting it back together.

Comment

• intHiki
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2012

perfect !

just find thread very interesting , thx

Comment

• jimmy0x52
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Feb 2012
                    • NYC / PA

Got the miter all setup and works great - it all went together pretty easily

Unfortunately I mis-ordered and didn't get enough slides so i have 3 of 4 slides on the bottom of the miter plate so I'll be ordering a couple more of those.

Comment

Working...