• Show
Clear All
  • BeauxTi
    Established Member
    • Jan 2012
    • Georgetown Texas
    • Ryobi BT300

Align the SMT

I am new to this board, but i am sure this has come up. I have been working for days trying to get my SMT in alignment with my blade - using the stick and the screw jig - the screw touches in the front of the saw but misses in the back by about a 32nd. I have unscrewed and Allen wrenched until i am worn out. Is there any documented " Repeatable Process" i can follow (tried the manual but it seems to be missing some steps) Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.
    Beaux Ti -

If you see a Bomb Tech running, follow him....
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Welcome! You might wish to review http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=46737 to see if it can help you. It should at least help you to verify that the guides are in place correctly which must be the case for the SMT to function correctly.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• thetimbo
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2010

Definitely a hassle. It took many tries over about four hours when I first got the saw. That was two years ago. Haven't touched it since, besides verifying the calibration every two months. Good luck.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

There's a couple good procedures in the old articles section:
        Erik

Comment

• BeauxTi
          Established Member
          • Jan 2012
          • Georgetown Texas
          • Ryobi BT300

Thanks guys!! - I am going to attempt the Three step method - will reply back with my results.
          Beaux Ti -

Comment

• toolguy1000
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2009
            • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by thetimbo
            Definitely a hassle. It took many tries over about four hours when I first got the saw. That was two years ago. Haven't touched it since, besides verifying the calibration every two months. Good luck.
            with no desire to hijack this thread, you must be mistaken. suggest you see post #5 in this thread:

Hi, I was lurking for a bit as I gathered information regarding the BT3000 saw and if it would fit my needs. I came across this saw http://maine.craigslist.org/tls/2725490415.html and I downloaded the comments by Jim Frye and contacted LCHIEN to get his answers to FAQ. What are some other/if any things that I should be on the
            there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• BeauxTi
              Established Member
              • Jan 2012
              • Georgetown Texas
              • Ryobi BT300

Got it!!

The three step method worked. While it took a bit of time with the thee handed steps - I think I have it as close as I am going to be able to get it - Just hope I don't have to do this every time I get started on a project. Thanks everyone for the help - Pulling hair is not a productive activity, at least that I have found.
              Beaux Ti -

Comment

• BeauxTi
                Established Member
                • Jan 2012
                • Georgetown Texas
                • Ryobi BT300

Again

Okay - think I have the alignment thing worked out - with one hitch - I seem to get it straight - tightened down - this causes the miter slide not to slide so well - I loosen up the bolts - slides fine then begins to wobble left and right. So I am back at it again. I know I must be missing something, but for the life of me it is not going well. Sorry to be such an idiot here, and no I am not giving up hobby over this ;-) . Please feel free to supply comments , helpful ones especially!
                Beaux Ti -

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

Have you lubricated the places where it slides? I'll rub the SMT base with wax paper from time to time, or use some paste wax if I have it out for other things.
                  Erik

Comment

• Black wallnut
                    cycling to health
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                    • BT3k 1999

The difference between in adjustment correct tightness and too tight is a matter of degrees at three places. one or two degrees can span the gap from just right to too loose. It is simply a matter of trial and error, and retry. Hence why many believe it to be cumbersome to adjust. IMHO if you use a nut driver and forget about the screwdriver below it is much easier. You simply need to have the adjustment screws and nuts just snug so that the nut driver will turn both. If the nut is too tight it will not turn the screw.

©

Comment

• BeauxTi
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2012
                      • Georgetown Texas
                      • Ryobi BT300

let me give that a try - maybe too many adjustments in motion at one time. Thanks guys!!!
                      Beaux Ti -

Comment

• Black wallnut
                        cycling to health
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                        • BT3k 1999

Keep in mind that the right front is the non-excentric. All adjustments for parallel should be made to the right rear and the two left ones are for removing slop. Keep light pressure away from blade while adjusting the right rear for parallel. After you have that set remove slop up front, then back.

©

Comment

• BeauxTi
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2012
                          • Georgetown Texas
                          • Ryobi BT300

yeah!

Black Walnut - that was the fix - once you have the screws tight enough that they turn with the lock nut on the top of the SMT - you can loosen all three Left front and rear and the right rear - use the right rear to align then button it up snug with both the left lock nuts. Good thing about this - you can watch what you are doing while you are doing it. Trying to hold the nut and the screw at the same time was a painful task at best. Thank for the help!
                          Beaux Ti -

Comment

Working...