• Show
Clear All
  • weilin
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2011
    • Encino, CA
    • Ryobi BT3000

issues with Freud SD308 8-Inch Dados

A set of Freud SD308 dado blades were included with my CL purchase of my BT3000. A year later, I finally got around to trying out the dado set for the first time. The first outside blade went on fine, the chippers went on ok too. But when it comes time to slide on the second outside blade, the blade would not go past the thread for the nut on the arbor no matter what I did. Does anyone else have experience with the Freud SD308 dado blades on BT3000? or can anyone shed some light on this situation? Thanks.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

exactly true. The 8" dado set requires that one 1/4" spacer be left on the arbor to avoid the inside blade from hitting the housing whereas the 6" dado sets will go on with no spacers. The 8" set thusly can properly only go to 5/8" or so and the 6" set can go to a full 13/16.

If you want to put the 8" set on with full 13/16 width then you will
    1. have the leftmost blade on the threads and setting lower cutting a uneven bottom
    2, theres no room for the leftmost arbor washer which I suppose you can do without (I have) but its probably not a good idea.

Anyway that explains why I have both a 6" and 8" set, the 8" set having been purchased first.

I go into some depth on the dado situation in the FAQ (see sig line below) along with 100 other BT3 frequent questions.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• weilin
      Forum Newbie
      • Jul 2011
      • Encino, CA
      • Ryobi BT3000

Allow me to clarify, I'm not saying that I ran out of arbor room. I've read your other posts and completely understand. My issue is that the 2nd outside blade will not fit on the arbor even if there was room...as if the hole was cut slightly too small for the arbor.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

ok, sorry i misread your question
        Have you tried just putting on the 2nd blade alone? If it doesn't go on, then that blade is defective. A caliper would also reveal all. I find mine indispensible, they sell for under $20 nowadays for resolution of .001" and capacity of 6"

Would be bad if it were - Freud is generally known for pretty good quality.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• weilin
          Forum Newbie
          • Jul 2011
          • Encino, CA
          • Ryobi BT3000

Loring, I probably will have to resort to that. Thanks.

Comment

• Dal300
            Banned
            • Aug 2011
            • East Central Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

I have an Onsrud Dado set and an Oslin box joint set, both 8" and I've found that the clearance on the shaft is so tight that if I'm not careful I'll have one of the chippers slightly cocked, causing the outside blade to only go to the end of the threads.
            I can't count the number of times I've had to remove everything back to the first blade and start over again, and your right, it makes the outside blade act like it's too small for the arbor, even by being off by couple of thousandths of an inch.

Good Luck!

DF

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

If it's close, a little light sanding might help.
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• weilin
                Forum Newbie
                • Jul 2011
                • Encino, CA
                • Ryobi BT3000

Knots,

That is a tempting but scary idea. I'm afraide to sand it out of balance.

Comment

• weilin
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jul 2011
                  • Encino, CA
                  • Ryobi BT3000

DF,

I'm not sure I follow your scenario. I take it that you mean that the chipper being cocked does not leave enough room on the arbor shaft for the outside blade. Unfortunately, I don't think that is similar to my situation. I have plenty of room on the arbor shaft to the thread. I would even have space between the outside blade to the chipper just prior to securing the outside blade if only the outside blade would get past the thread. Sorry if I sound convoluted. I hope you can visualize my problem. My point is that my chipper is not pushing the outside blade to the thread.

Comment

• Shep
                    • Nov 2008
                    • Columbus, OH
                    • Hitachi C10FL

Any build-up on the inside of the blade to cause it to not fit? At the very least I would also try a fine sanding on the hole of the blade. As long as you're not too agressive it shouldn't get it out of balance.
                    -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• pelligrini
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • Fort Worth, TX
                      • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Shep
                      Any build-up on the inside of the blade to cause it to not fit? At the very least I would also try a fine sanding on the hole of the blade. As long as you're not too agressive it shouldn't get it out of balance.
                      I'd try some emery cloth wrapped around my finger too.
                      Erik

Comment

Working...