• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cwphoto
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2011

introduction

Hi folks:

Just wanted to introduce myself, as this is my first post to the forum. I want to thank Mark (walnut) for all the help getting me signed up. Apparently there were some server issues, and it took weeks to finally get registered.

I was a professional woodworker for nearly 15 years, mostly furniture repair and refinishing, and in the later years cabinetmaking, before the big box stores took that over.

I've been away from woodworking for nearly 20 years, so I guess that's kind of dates me. I work a little bit slower, and don't see nearly as well as I use to, but still enjoy dabbling with wood. Guess I just can't get the sawdust out of my blood.

After all the wonderful reviews of the BT3100, I decided to purchase its successor, the craftsman 22811.

A few comments about this new saw: All of Ryobi's blade guards have been redesigned, which includes the 22811. The riving knife is now easily removed with a flip of the lever, the blade guard is now a two-piece, and the kickback paws are also removable via a push button clasp. The mobile base on the craftsman is a marvel of engineering design, and it is so well-balanced I think a child could open and close this saw.

I think it took me about 2 hours to set up the SMT, and fence. I purchased a zero clearance insert from Lee Styron (leeway workshop), and then some T-nuts from Robert. Great folks to work with, and appreciate the enthusiasm both these guys have for these saws.

I'm very impressed with the 22811, and can't believe the degree of precision and accuracy this saw is capable of. I've used much higher-end systems then didn't have so much to offer. I am putting in an extension table with an Incra router table insert, and also picked up used a LS positioner to use with the router table.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello, and hope to contribute more in the near future!

Troy

P.S. here's a few shots of the new blade guard and riving knife:
    Attached Files
  • bigstick509
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Macomb, MI, USA.
    • BT3100

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • On the TARDIS
        • BT 3100

Glad to have you with us.
        From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• radhak
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Miramar, FL
          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by cwphoto
          Guess I just can't get the sawdust out of my blood.
          That there is a dangerous affliction - no cure other than more of the same !

That saw looks enticing, congrats! Thanks for the review and the pics.

Welcome to the forum!
          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
          - Aristotle

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Welcome.
            New Riving knife looks good.

hmmm, the 22811 I know of was an old model that sears sold between the BT3000 and the BT3100 - they haven't sold that one since maybe 2002-4?

If there's a new 22811 BT clone I'll have to stop at Sears and take a look at it.

I notice the knife is stamped RK ThIckness 0.090". which allows use with both thin and standard kerf blades.

Are you sure its not a 21829 (pic below), the current clone, with a new riving knife design? Looks like that saw, red sheet metal, gray non-ribbed top, what I can see of it.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-27-2011, 11:34 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cork58
              Established Member
              • Jan 2006
              • Wasilla, AK, USA.
              • BT3000

Welcome Troy! I saw the state flag, I'm in Wasilla. Corks
              Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• Shep
                • Nov 2008
                • Columbus, OH
                • Hitachi C10FL

welcome, welcome, welcome
                -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

Welcome to the Asylum, Troy!
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Welcome to a great forum Troy!
                    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cwphoto
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Oct 2011

model clarification

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      Welcome.
                      New Riving knife looks good.

hmmm, the 22811 I know of was an old model that sears sold between the BT3000 and the BT3100 - they haven't sold that one since maybe 2002-4?

If there's a new 22811 BT clone I'll have to stop at Sears and take a look at it.

I notice the knife is stamped RK ThIckness 0.090". which allows use with both thin and standard kerf blades.

Are you sure its not a 21829 (pic below), the current clone, with a new riving knife design? Looks like that saw, red sheet metal, gray non-ribbed top, what I can see of it.
                      This is indeed the saw I have. it is still listed on the Sears site as model number 22811. I purchased it this month. They can be had for as low as $399, which is fairly decent when you consider it comes with the router accessory Kit. It may be possible that Sears is in a transition too, and just has not updated the model numbers.

As to the riving knife, I've had a heck of a time trying to keep it parallel to the blade, which in essence makes it a tad wider (or shall I say thicker) than what it actually is. I think this was one of the hardest things to get in alignment. I ended up just snugging one of the bolts, as I would throw the knife out of alignment otherwise. At any rate, it may cause some issues with thin kerf blades.

Troy

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

If I may ask, what web site do you see it on. I'm curious because I am the author/keeper of the BT3 FAQs.

As for keeping the riving knife aligned behind/with the blade, the BT3 series has typically had a series of shims about .010" each on the mounting bracket for the riving knife, by placing the shims to the right or left of the RK when bolting it to the mount, it could be shifted reliably to align it. People have used soda cans sections to make additional shims, maybe this is what yours needs although I find it difficult to believe they don't already have some for you to use.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• cwphoto
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Oct 2011

Model #

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                          If I may ask, what web site do you see it on. I'm curious because I am the author/keeper of the BT3 FAQs.

As for keeping the riving knife aligned behind/with the blade, the BT3 series has typically had a series of shims about .010" each on the mounting bracket for the riving knife, by placing the shims to the right or left of the RK when bolting it to the mount, it could be shifted reliably to align it. People have used soda cans sections to make additional shims, maybe this is what yours needs although I find it difficult to believe they don't already have some for you to use.
                          My invoice from Sears says 22811, but I just checked the Sears website and their listing it as 21828, so apparently it has been updated. I'm not sure what the 21829 is, but they did, and still do if I"m not mistaken, sell it as a "kit" with 2 blades. At any rate, the current number appears to be 21828. My apologies for any confusion. See: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...8&blockType=G8 for current listing.

As to the riving knife, I guess the best way to describe it is that slightly askew. That is to say it's pivoting ever so slightly from the front to the back as I tighten the bolts, which in essence makes it wider than it really is. I like the soda can shim ideal and may give it a shot.

Troy

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

they (Sears) do some monkeying around with the model number and part number, sometimes they are very close.
                            Look at the nameplate on the saw itself. It should have a full model number like
                            315.218290 or 315.218280
                            which is what you will need for looking up parts on the sears parts website.
                            The 315 is actually a manufacturer number which 315 is usually Ryobi (Sears makes nothing on its own, all its products are OEM manufactured), the remainder is like the product number 21829 or 21828 with a zero attached.

sometimes they sell a 21828 which is a basic 21829 saw kitted with two blades, for example.
                            also, what blade does yours come with? number of teeth, name and place of manufacture?

Let me know what yours says.
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-28-2011, 12:37 AM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Stytooner
                              Roll Tide RIP Lee
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                              • BT3100

I think even Sears is confused. Welcome to the Forum. I have been trying to sort this out since you first emailed about it. Confusing to say the least.

This model number actually shows up twice on the Sears site.

Shop Sears for appliances, tools, clothing, mattresses & more. Great name brands like Kenmore, Craftsman Tools, Serta, Diehard and many others.

On the parts lookup for this model number, I get the little left tilt Jobsite saw.

It appears they have morphed the two with yours.

You mention you are having trouble with twisting of the knife when tightening.
                              There should certainly be some adjustments for that. Should be covered in the manual unless you received the old manual for the BT clones. It won't have much usable info for the new knife style.

I have another knife here from a different model Sears saw. It is the 351.218330. It looks very similar to your knife, but I can tell subtle differences in the profiles. This one was once thought to be identical to the Ridgid R4512, but it is different from that one as well. Close on these is not good enough it seems.

Can you snap several more images of this mechanism on yours without the saw blade in place?

Thanks for posting this and maybe we can help get things sorted out.
                              Last edited by Stytooner; 11-28-2011, 05:45 AM.
                              Lee

Comment

Working...