• Show
Clear All
  • jmt816
    Handtools only
    • May 2008
    • Blooming Grove, NY
    • Ryobi BT3100

Dual Miter Slot Table - right side mounting

Have read the various threads re: right-hand DMST, and just scored 1 on an ebay auction for a good price, so that I can make a panel sled. Not being much of a metalworker, I would've been happy to spend the $19.95 for the mounting kit that's listed on bt3000.com, BUT, his site shows it as out of stock, and its not even listed on his eBay site.

While I was reworking my wide table which had warped, using the wide table leg kit (just bought from Sears), I had a "brain storm"(?) for maybe another way to mount it, which I'm wondering if anyone else has tried (or rejected). Since the leg kit mounts to the rails with t-nuts, it freed up some of the brackets which I'd previously been using to attach the end, and then I found some t-nuts in the router mounting kit (which I never even opened). So I thought, why not try to mount the right-hand DMST to the rails, using the brackets for the wide table kit? Only required a LITTLE bit of drilling (in the brackets and bottom of DMST) rather than making holes in the saw itself.

I haven't done the alignment yet to square it up (since I just blew the drive belt <sigh>), but was wondering if anyone else has tried this method, or can any flaws with it versus the kit (which I can't get at the moment anyway)?

thanks!
    Jeff
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Mounting to the rails will work, but a drawback is that you can't move the rails. Well, you can move them, but you would have to realign the slots every time. IME it is extremely difficult to get the miter slots back into the same exact position for sleds to work properly again. I ended up making a new sled the first time I moved a miter slot.

You might try messaging Komatoast, he could have a kit in stock. He's a member here too.
    Erik

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
      Mounting to the rails will work, but a drawback is that you can't move the rails. Well, you can move them, but you would have to realign the slots every time. IME it is extremely difficult to get the miter slots back into the same exact position for sleds to work properly again. I ended up making a new sled the first time I moved a miter slot.

You might try messaging Komatoast, he could have a kit in stock. He's a member here too.

You couldn't use the bars from the sled to help realign the slot table?
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
        You couldn't use the bars from the sled to help realign the slot table?
        Yes, the sled did help me get very close, but it wasn't exact. I ended up wallowing out the zero clearance of the sled. It wasn't easy using this particular sled as it had some really long runners. I'd have to support the sled hanging off the edge of the saw in order to get the runner clear of the fastening screws on my slots.

It wasn't the best sled in the first place, so making a new (better) one wasn't all that big of a deal.
        Erik

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I did not set up the right side DSMT on my BT3100, the original owner did. I will have to look to see how mine is attached. After fiddling with a couple of jig designs, I am finding something that is working for my dial indicator. I have thus far set up my left side DSMT and the rip fence. I still neet to get the right side DSMT and the SMT before I can call it done... (The left side has .000" runout, and the fence is .001" front to back. I am happy there!)
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• vaking
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2005
            • Montclair, NJ, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by pelligrini

I believe that with wide table kit installed moving rails is not an issue. Wide table kit adds 42 inches to original length making full rail length 7 feet total. With 7 feet rails you should be able to position rails the way you want it once and never need to reposition.
            Alex V

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Oddly enough, I can't seem to find Komatoast on ebay any more...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dbhost
                Oddly enough, I can't seem to find Komatoast on ebay any more...
                here he is

But oddly, it only shows four feedback since 1999, two in 99 , one in '03 and one more in '07. surely he sold more than that... maybe his users don't do feedback. I thought he was pretty active.

Hey, his BT3central profile says he was here... 2 and a half hours ago. Must be still alive and felt his ears burning.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-16-2011, 06:33 PM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Dal300
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2011
                  • East Central Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I think you might be looking for Komatoast69.

Follow komatoast69 on eBay. Buying, Selling, Collecting on eBay has never been more exciting!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Dal300
                    I think you might be looking for Komatoast69.

http://myworld.ebay.com/komatoast69/...id=p4340.l2559
                    Yeah, that's him!
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...