X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Fox
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2010

Feather board suggestion?

Good work here, on another topic any suggestions for a feather board for my BT 3 to rip some 2 x 4's . I am a newbe and haven't figured out how to post. Thanks
  • RAV2
    Established Member
    • Aug 2007
    • Massachusetts

Here is a good start - $6 at Harbor Freight

Comment

• vaking
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2005
      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

The original manual for BT3100 has plans for a featherboard for this saw. In fact - it is recommended as a first project for this saw to learn the ropes and make a featherboard at the same time.
      Here is the link to manual:

Page 23 - how to make a featherboard.
      Last edited by vaking; 07-29-2011, 02:55 PM.
      Alex V

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

IF you have the dual miter slot accessory table on your BT, the Milescraft 1407 double featherboard is a real winner!
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

make one - good first project for your saw.

Take a piece of 1x4 pine.
          Cut a 30 degree miter cut
          Raise the blade a bit for the next cuts... this will make the cut ends more vertical - but they don't have to be very vertical.
          using the rip fence, cut a series of parallel lines. I marked a line parallel tot eh miter cut about 3-4 inches down the board. Use this line as the stop point for the cuts.
          I'd recommend a slightly soft feahter, you don't want it too stiff.
          If you have the thin kerf blade that cuts approx .100", move the rip fence about 3/16 each cut, this will give fingers about .080 and be reasonably soft, I think.

If you want it stiffer make another with the fingers shorter or the fingers wider.

On MY BT, I use the miter fence and miter clamp set at 30 degrees to hold the featherboard and another clamp to lock the sliding miter table position so that the backside of the feather is just in front of the blade leading edge. On mine, i knocked a bit off the pointy tip to make it more gentle - i used about a 45 miter the other way to knock off about 1/2 or 3/4 inch.

Good luck.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-29-2011, 07:04 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...