X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjkess1
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2011

Ryobi 180 Router

I purchased the Sears saw in April love it. However having a problem with the router. Bought a Ryobi 180 plunge router I thought was suppose to be the ideal router for this table. Anyway if I use the adapter plate on the bottom of the router out table with the router in the full down position the bits are not high enough to use. If I remove the adapter plate and bolt to the router out table it is better but still the bit has to be set extremly high and is dangerous. ANY IDEAS?
    Thanks
    Carl
  • mpc
    • Feb 2005
    • Cypress, CA, USA.
    • BT3000 orig 13amp model

two very basic questions... I'm not familiar with the 180 router so I don't have any specific ideas/recommendations.

1: you did remove the plastic base plate from the router when using it on the table saw? That's about 1/8th of an inch if you didn't remove the base plate.

2: most plunge routers have an adjustable depth stop (rod of some sort typically) and many also have a "turret" assembly that gives you a stair-step set of stops. The depth stop/rod "hits" the various levels of the turret depending on where the turret is rotated to. Are both totally "out of the way" allowing the plunge to go as far as physically possible?

I have an older Ryobi router (not a plunge style router) that I sometimes use with the router mounting kit on my BT3's accessory table. For most bits, I have enough adjustment in the router's normal height/depth adjustment mechanism that the bit can be inserted about half way.

mpc

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

i'm going to make several assumtions here.
      One is that you have a sears 21829 - the router accessory table is somewhat different on that model.
      The second is that you have a plunge-base ryobi - the usual router used with the accessory tables is the fixed base router which has a smaller base than the plunge base router.

The problem you may be having is that the 21829 table has webbing underneath for strength, and a large round recess in the webbing to accept the fixed base router. The plunge base area being larger makes the router sit on top of the webbing when installed pushing the router 1/2 inch farther away than a fixed base router would be.

The earlier ryobi and sears models had aux table with no webbing - you actually affixed the router to an adapter plate and the plate to the table.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Brian G
        • Jun 2003
        • Bloomington, Minnesota.
        • G0899

The springs of the RE180PL don't compress enough. You gain enough if you disassemble the base, remove the springs, and reassemble the base.

That's what I used to do with my RE180PL when I mounted it to my BT3100 before I built a dedicated router table.

It's not very convenient if it's your only router. You don't need the plunge springs while the router is hanging upside down, but you have to reattach the springs when you want to use it hand-held.

I just gave you a reason to buy another router.
        Brian

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Brian gave some good points too - that an upside down plunge router makes the spring work inteh wrong direction and hold the router motor and bit way down - you have to fight not only gravity but the springs also. the plunge routers are not made to be upside down, when they are right side up the springs work to counter the force of gravity.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cjkess1
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2011

Thanks for the help I think you hit it on the head as the plunge base is bigger and sits outside the webing lowering it about 1/2 inch looks like a new router is needed.

Comment

Working...