• Show
Clear All
  • kaydee
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • N. California
    • BT3000

BT3000 Rip fence not locking fully

My Bt3000 rip fence is giving me some heartburn. When I used it last year, it was perfectly working. Tried to use it last week and for some reason the rip fence isn't locking down firmly. I can push the locking handle all the way down but the fence is still not completely tight. In the past, I was only able to push the locking handle partly down and the fence would be locked tight.

I opened up the rear end of the fence and nothing is amiss or stuck - the spring, rod, etc. are fine. When I push down on the locking handle the clamper on the rear moves a little but does not hug the rails.

What else should I be examining and tweaking? Appreciate any pointers.

-kd
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

Sounds like it might just not be mounted correctly. That or the plastic shim on the front may be fouled. Flip it over and inspect that part.
    Lee

Comment

• kaydee
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2006
      • N. California
      • BT3000

The mounting seems to be fine. I double checked everything. Somehow, when I push down the locking handle, the fence is not grabbing the rails.

Which "plastic shim" would that be? I have the exploded diagram of the fence, and a part # would help.

-kd

Comment

• conwaygolfer
        Established Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Conway, SC.
        • BT3000

I bought my BT3000 used several years ago and it also would not lock down. I noticed the rear "pin" was missing. Not sure what it is called, but it seems to be a small steel pin, like a dowel pin. As you push down on the handle it moves toward the rail to lock it down. At least that is what I thought it did. I ordered and installed a new one and have had no problems since. When I remove the guide, I make sure the pin stays where it belongs since it could fall out again.

Hope this helps. Most people here are more informed than myself. But I know it worked for my problem.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
          • Aug 2007
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • BT-3000, 21829

Check out this thread.

It’s fixed! Thanks to two forum members, J.D. “eccentrictinkerer” and to Ray Girling, the rip fence on my BT3000 no longer lifts when I lock it down. It’s had the problem for years. With their permission, I've combined their words, photos, and diagrams into one post so that the thread can be found in

Once you've got everything adjusted properly remember... Don't push the handle ALL the way down! Half way down usually does it just fine.
          Last edited by eccentrictinkerer; 07-14-2011, 09:17 PM.
          You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
          of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• kaydee
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2006
            • N. California
            • BT3000

How to remove pin 24

Ok, I'm suspecting Clamper-A is bent on my Bt3000.

How do I remove the pin (#24) that holds the Clamper-A into the handle (#28)?

Another related question/comment: The rod #11 has a pointed tip and when you push down on the handle, this rod is supposed to push the screw (#5) outward, making the tip of #6 lock into the rails. How reliably can the pointed rod push the screw? The contact area between the tip of the rod #11 and the screw #5 is very tiny. Or, is there something between the rod tip and the screw that is not shown in the diagrams?

-kd

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Unscrew the lever (handle) from the cam / clamper A assembly and simply turn it sideways. Mine fell out. You may need to push with a punch or something along those lines, but it should come out relatively easily.

The tang on Clamper A bends far too easily for me, but once straight, the fence lever should be almost parallel with the table when the fence is locked down.
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...