X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whynot
    Handtools only
    • May 2011

Blown up saw questions

I have a craftsman portable saw, 15A. is it the same as a BT3000?

I have not used it a lot, but Have had it a couple of years. I was ripping a 2X6 the other day and it shot flames and sparks out of the motor. Sears wants 200+ just for the motor.
    At that price, I am asking myself if I should repair it or replace the whole saw. I can not afford another $500 saw, Home Depot has a 129 BT10, and if that motor would fit that would be the 2nd cheapest solution. The best would be if it is the same as the BT3000, because Ryobi sells the parts for the motor.

Any idea on a cheaper replacement motor? or other suggeations?
    thanks
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

yeah, the 21829 is basically the same saw as the BT3100, BT3000 and Sears 22811.
    All the differences are detailed in my FAQ (see sig line below) along with advice on bad motors.

In short, ryobi wants nearly just as much for the motor ($180+ a few years back).
    BTS10 is not the same machine at all.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• whynot
      Handtools only
      • May 2011

Ryobi sells just the outside windings of the motor for about $40. Will that fix my problem, the inside looks ok. The outside is definitely bad
      the reason I asked about the smaller saw, was it would be cheaper to buy that saw, just for the motor, than to buy a motor. So if the motor was the same (both are listed at 15A) I could get my saw running for about $120.
      Sent a PM for your FAQ.

Thank you for the help!
      Doug

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

It's not uncommon for folks to part out their BT's here....maybe you can find a used motor, or a whole used BT.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• eezlock
          • Feb 2006
          • Charlotte,N.C.
          • BT3100

blown up saw questions

Why not look up electric motor repair in your area and contact them about
          repairing your motor instead of replacing it? You probably would be better
          off in the long run going this route than trying to buy a used motor that
          you know very little about and may be buying someone else' headache
          anyway. A good motor repair shop will give a limited time warranty and
          you will always have someone to ask about problems if and when they arise
          instead of being out in the cold with no help at all.

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

The first thing I'd check is the brushes...that'd be a cheap and easy fix if it's the cause.
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• whynot
              Handtools only
              • May 2011

I will see if I can find an electrical motor shop close to home, and see what they have to say.
              I pulled the end off of the motor, and the outer windings are all burned up. the inside ones look ok. I was hoping to not have to remove the whole motor, that looks like a pain.

Comment

• whynot
                Handtools only
                • May 2011

I have found a used outer winding on e-bay. I will see if that fixes it, if not, I will have to look for a motor.
                Keeping my fingers crossed

Comment

Working...