• Show
Clear All
  • jwd12
    Established Member
    • Jun 2005
    • Dyer, In..
    • BT3100

Table to catch long rips

I have a small shop in the garage, meaning everything must be mobile. I have a couple of projects in mind that will involve ripping 60" x 60" BB plywood. In the past I have used roller supports. A "catcher" table at the rear of my BT3100 would improve things, but it would have to be removable. I thought I had seen plans for something like this on the site. Any direction or assistance would be appreciated.
    I am praying for patience but extremely upset that it takes so long.
  • bmuir1616
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2008

Outfeed/Assembly table`

I have a scan of an article about an outfeed/assembly table that is on wheels and stores over the tablesaw. Once you lower the wheels down, it becomes an outfeed table. Send me your e-mail address and I will send you the file.
    Bill

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

The table is commonly refered to as an outfeed table. There's quite a few ideas on the forums.

I did a knockdown table out of a hollowcore door. It gets removed at the end of every session. http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=41179
      Erik

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

As Erik says, there are lots of ways to make an outfeed table, and that is surely the best solution. But if you're REALLY short on space and don't want to fool with attaching and removing one, you might consider getting one or two of the Ridgid Flip-Top Stands sold at Home Depot. Although essentially identical in concept to a roller stand, these things work so much better that they're in a completely different league, and can be used with other tools you may have in your shop.

I was pressed for space in my last shop and used one of these stands with my cabinet saw in lieu of an outfeed table. I've never known of anyone on this forum buying one and being dissatisfied with it. In fact we have kind of a running joke around here ... while you're at HD buying the first one, go ahead and get two and save yourself another trip later.

Just a suggestion for another option you may wish to consider.
        Larry

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

+1 on the Ridgid flip tops. I have a pair and I used them for outfeed support before I built my table. I also use them a lot when working with large sheetgods, and as infeed support, etc.

I still like my table better for outfeed. More surface area and less setup. The roller and flip tops do work well, but if you're dealing with an uneven surface, like my backyard, they can take a bit longer to setup properly.
          Last edited by pelligrini; 04-12-2011, 11:54 AM.
          Erik

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Build a workbench to match the table height of the saw - 1/8". That was my solution, and it works wonders!
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

How about going the other way? Build a sawboard, and cut the 5' square plywood that way, instead of on the saw!
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Though not nearly as elegant as others, I like mine. It was easy and cheap. All I need to do is lift the front of the table, straighten the legs, and it's ready to go.

This is the place to ask questions about the Ryobi BT3 series table saws. Please limit the posts to this topic only.
                Joe

Comment

• jwd12
                  Established Member
                  • Jun 2005
                  • Dyer, In..
                  • BT3100

You never know what you don't know. If I had searched outfeed table, I would have found what I needed. You are almost as quick as the search function. Think I'll go with the hollow core as it is light and easily moved. Think I'll get the Rigid flip tops stands for infeed. Thanks to all.
                  I am praying for patience but extremely upset that it takes so long.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

I know I posted about the outfeed table, but don't discount Randal's suggestion of a sawboard. It's very cheap and easy to build and can be very accurate. I personally don't like wrestling sheet goods on a TS.
                    Joe

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2007
                      • Buena Park, CA
                      • CM 21829

Not elegant, but you could build a lumber cart that doubles as a panel holder to size your stock before final cut on the TS. I use a AIO clamp as an edge guide for my circular saw.

Also, here's a smaller spin on the hollow-core door outfeed table.
                      Attached Files
                      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• jnesmith
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

I use a couple of the flip-tops too. I move them around from outfeed, infeed and side support.

John

Comment

Working...