• Show
Clear All
  • Vrex
    Handtools only
    • Apr 2010
    • Carson City, NV
    • BT3000

Bevel Gears stripped and not available

I am afraid this might be the end of my saw, the BT3000, and eventually yours to... My bevel gears, which control the tilt of the blade (part number 969122002) have been discontinued. I tried all the usual suspects, including the equivalent Sears saw. No luck. What have others done in this situation? The saw is fine as long as I don't need a canted cut.
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

If you think the gears are stripped because when you flip the lever on the front to switch to bevel changes it still does not move, I would clean it up throughly and look closely at the gears. The weak point of these saws is the height/bevel adjustment. Mine is a BT3100 so a little different. Ryobi deliberately engineered the handle to be the weak point. So if things are not clean and well lubricated, the handle turns on the shaft and nothing else happens. The solution is to clean it up and lube it. This may not be what is going on for you but I would sure give it a try.

Jim

Comment

• Daryl
      • May 2004

Many members part out their saw, so keep alert for what you need.
      Elseways, you can try Boston Gears for replacements.
      Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Parting out of the BT saw parts seems to go in spurts around here. Your post is the first one that I can remember in which those gears are what is needed for replacement. If you can hang on for a few weeks to a few months, there will probably be a post here with a BT being parted out.

Also, just when it seems parts are no longer available, someone posts a note with another place where parts can be found.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

ditto for what Hank Lee says, I've been a close reader of the forums for years and never ever heard of crown gears wearing out or stripping and its not covered as a Frequent Asked Question for sure. Check and see if its really the gears gone out... More likely something else as Hank suggests.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• coupeowner 2002
            Forum Newbie
            • Nov 2010
            • Portland, OR

As a matter of fact......
            I have a very early BT3000 that just became a parts donor this past weekend. I promised Loring the metal blade adjustment handle, but hopefully the gears are a separate assembly. I tried getting the handle off yesterday, but realized it is more of a job than I had expected. I will attack again tomorrow and see where those gears you need are.
            Last edited by coupeowner 2002; 02-28-2011, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• woodturner
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Western Pennsylvania
              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Vrex
              I am afraid this might be the end of my saw, the BT3000, and eventually yours to... My bevel gears, which control the tilt of the blade (part number 969122002) have been discontinued.
              If it really is the gears and other options don't pan out, you may be able to find the gears through a machinists source - many gears are standard sizes, much like bearings.
              QTC producers of Bevel Gears metric ground spiral Bevel Gears, Pinion Shafts,Plastic Bevel Gear, Stainless Steel Bevel Gears, Injection Molded Bevel Gears and Sintered Metal Bushings.
              --------------------------------------------------
              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                • Aug 2007
                • Minneapolis, MN
                • BT-3000, 21829

Originally posted by Vrex
                I am afraid this might be the end of my saw, the BT3000, and eventually yours to... My bevel gears, which control the tilt of the blade (part number 969122002) have been discontinued. I tried all the usual suspects, including the equivalent Sears saw. No luck. What have others done in this situation? The saw is fine as long as I don't need a canted cut.
                Vrex - I sent you a PM.
                You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• Vrex
                  Handtools only
                  • Apr 2010
                  • Carson City, NV
                  • BT3000

Thanks for the suggestions...

I have one offer for gears, so I found the right place... thanks so much for all the suggestions.

As for the gear itself, one is definitely stripped... missing two teeth. I bought the saw in used condition, and though the winding mechanism was sticky, it worked. Until I took the saw apart and replaced the shims - that is when I examined the gears and saw their condition. Of course, once I cleaned them and put the saw back together, the tilt never worked again.

BTW, I put a thin plywood under the metal box to keep sawdust from falling, and used flat sheet magnets (used to cover floor vents, available at HD) to cover all the holes in the saw, and cut dust down by 96%. The magnets can be cut with scissors and fit around the front and back holes easily, as well as the others. I just move them when I tilt the saw. Really remarkable results, and takes 10 minutes.

Comment

• wardprobst
                    • Jan 2006
                    • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                    • Craftsman 22811

I'd be wary of covering all the holes, the motor needs some air for cooling but thanks for the tip on the magnets. Made me think of a use for some old magnetic signs I have.
                    DP
                    www.wardprobst.com

Comment

Working...