X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tvarch
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2008

So after the flu, holiday season and a lot of procrastination I have finally gotten around to fixing my saw.
    Getting it apart was not hard except for the roll pin at the base of the shaft.
    I made a jig to hold my motor square to the drill press and drilled a hole to accept the helicoil insert. Aluminum is very easy to drill .
    Next will tap the hole.
    Attached Files

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by tvarch
      So after the flu, holiday season and a lot of procrastination I have finally gotten around to fixing my saw.
      Getting it apart was not hard except for the roll pin at the base of the shaft.
      I made a jig to hold my motor square to the drill press and drilled a hole to accept the helicoil insert. Aluminum is very easy to drill .
      Next will tap the hole.
      don't forget to use a cutting oil (probably any oil lube will work) when tapping the threads in aluminum. Also don't forget to back up frequently (maybe every half turn or so) to clear the threads.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tvarch
        Forum Newbie
        • Apr 2008

Thanks for the advice. I used WD40 and backed the tap off often. It seemed to go easily. Insert went in and the treaded shaft fits.

Comment

• Skaning
          Forum Newbie
          • Nov 2010

Generally any oil helps but Lowes does sell a small (maybe 3 or 4 oz) bottle of cutting oil under the KOBALT name. Usually it's in the tool area on an end cap. You can usually find cutting oil with the plumbing tools (like threading dies) but ususally in much larger size containers. Stuff works pretty well particularly drilling in steel. Use of automobile oils these days is OK for cooling and flushing chips I guess but with all the antiwear and anti friction additives I wonder about them for a cutting fluid.

Comment

• tvarch
            Forum Newbie
            • Apr 2008

Saw is back together and works better than it has in a long time.
            I put a new switch on it and spent a bit of time squaring the sliding table and miter guide. Don't remember the last time I did that.
            I am happy with how it turned out and want to thank everyone for their encouragement and guidance.
            If anyone is looking for a helicoil kit and drill bit I would be happy to send it along for postage.

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

Cool, glad it's working now. You shouldn't have that problem again with the new threads. The helicoil is a lot harder than the aluminum.
              Erik

Comment

Working...