• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

If you take into account my latest postings, I guess I've got to pass on the answer. The bandage on my right hand is evidence enough.
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

I always use the guard when possible, because it was the only way to use the riving knife and pawls (I actually like the pawls). I don't know why it took so long, but I just now ordered a Shark Guard so I can use the riving knife all the time.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• NewDIYer
        Forum Newbie
        • Jun 2012
        • Southington, CT
        • Ryobi BT3000

Guard would be good..

I have a guard that came with the saw when I bought the BT3K. I wanted to experiment making a Shark Guard and with Lee's permission I wanted to start that journey. I have the reconfigured riving knife on the saw with the RK just a tad below the height of the saw blade. The original guard is on my other BT3K which I need to adopt to make dado cuts but am waiting for the shims which are on order for over a month now.

However, I do not do any cuts without the push shoe or without control of the wood. Maybe I need to move the guard back to the current saw. Any advice on this will be appreciated.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
          Veteran Member
          • May 2003
          • Nanuet, NY, USA.
          • BT3100

That post of mine turned out to be a lie

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
          I use the Shark most of the time.

I ALWAYS use the Shark splitter.

Bruce
          Looking at the date that post was written, I must confess that after I wrote that, "most of the time" ended up being "some of the time". Otherwise, I would still be in possession ot 25% of my right pinkie.

Moral of the story, I didn't keep my frigging hand away from the spinning blade.
          Photos on request.

Bruce
          "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
          Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• dkerfoot
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2004
            • Holland, Michigan
            • Craftsman 21829

I think the moral is clear. If you don't use a blade guard, you are much more likely to die of a tablesaw injury than this thread has of dying of any cause. Ever.

Doug Kerfoot
            "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
            "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
            KeyLlama.com

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

I could kill it but I really want it to top the number of posts and views as this thread on a different forum.
              5k+ posts 2.5 million views........
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Eh, let it die of natural causes... I have been fishing around the truck forums looking for examples of shop built hidden winch mounts (hey, the lumber wagon needs to drag itself out of the muck every now and then!), and have been reviving LONG dead threads from members I know are still active... I am talking about posts made in 2000 brought back to life... I have gotten some very useful information by doing that.... I WILL be posting my completed project on the truck forums since it is a project with my truck, I may actually post it here if folks show interest. Probably the most likely to be interested would be Pappy... He's a Texas truck kind of guy....
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dusty
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Nov 2012
                  • AZ
                  • Shopsmith Mark V Model 520 and a Mark V Model 510 with a BT3K Rail Kit, SMT, and Router Table

Yes, I use the blade guard BUT not all the time. There are times where it is simply "in the way".

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by dusty
                    Yes, I use the blade guard BUT not all the time. There are times where it is simply "in the way".
                    I haven't taken notice on the reported "accidents" of our members as to whether the guard was on at the time. I don't believe it was.

Comment

• RobertB574
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jan 2005
                      • Warner Robins, GA, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100

I need to change my ways. I have a Shark Guard but don't use it.

Comment

Working...