• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Possible SMT upgrade for better grip

One of my gripes about the SMT was that the clamp's 5/16-18 hex head bolt was inclined to dig into the soft aluminum table if you tightened the clamp even moderately.

Tonight I noticed that a Rockler 5/16-18 t-bolt fits into the SMT almost perfectly. A few licks of a file on either side would make it a perfect fit. And because of its length, it shouldn't dig-in like the hex-head bolt does.
    Attached Files
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

I no longer have my BT3000, but that is a GREAT idea
    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Got a bunch of them from a couple of T track kits. Need to dig them out!
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

is the large hole at the top of the slot big enough to "pass" the head of this new bolt!

If not, then a minor inconvenience of this approach is that the bolt/knob shall have to be completely disassembled to remove the miter fence, whereas the old hex head bolt could simply be loosened a bit and lifted out through the hole.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          is the large hole at the top of the slot big enough to "pass" the head of this new bolt!

If not, then a minor inconvenience of this approach is that the bolt/knob shall have to be completely disassembled to remove the miter fence, whereas the old hex head bolt could simply be loosened a bit and lifted out through the hole.
          That is a good point. I was able to tilt the bolt through the hole. I only have a shorter t-bolt at work where my SMT is in storage (I don't use it any more). I was moving a bunch of stuff around and the idea occurred to me, but I haven't actually tested it.

This afternoon I'll grab a longer t-bolt and see if it is possible to navigate it through the hole.

I suppose the hole in the top could always be elongated with a rat-tail file.

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

I had a chance to try a longer t-bolt and it works like a charm. Very easy to pop the bolt head through the hole in the top when removing/replacing the fence. And when you tighten the clamping knob there is no tendency for the head to dig into the soft aluminum. And when you move the fence back and forth the t-bolt's head doesn't chatter in the channel like the hex head bolt sometimes did. Very smooth.

Comment

Working...