• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JeffG78
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
    • BT3100

Thanks Rob. I'll probably go that route. I have a Rockler 10 minutes from my house. Did you bypass the original switch or just leave it broken in the on position?

Comment

• Indywar2
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2013
      • Indianapolis, IN
      • BT3100

Hi Jeff.

I left the original switch in place. I figured if it was now always in the on position, there was not a need to by-pass it.

Rob

Comment

• greencat
        Established Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Grand Haven Mi

Originally posted by JeffG78
        After many years of trusty service, my BT3100 switch finally failed and in the on position. I was able to take it apart and get it working again, but it only lasted another dozen or so cycles before failing again. I went on Amazon and found that the Ryobi switch is NLA, but another similar switch had a customer review stating that they were able to use the original Ryobi BT3100 switch housing and replace the electrical contact portion with the Amazon part. Anybody here try that? Looks like a decent solution for less than $6.00
        https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DSBWI6...v_ov_lig_dp_it
        Yes, this solution worked. Hard to beat $6. The contactor is an exact match to the Ryobi. 5 minute fix.

My only problem is the switch died in the middle of a project. I used the plug to turn the saw off until the project was done.

I now have to juggle the plug a few times to make contact. It seems very loose or maybe there is carbon build up from the sparking.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks again,
        Mike

Comment

• TomWillcox
          Handtools only
          • Mar 2011
          • Allentown, PA
          • Ryobi BT-3000

Trying to get a replacement switch for my bt3000, but getting no response from ryobi customer service after 2 weeks and multiple attempts to contact them.....guess I am on my own to find a serviceable option. Even if they cannot help me it would be nice to at least get a reply.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Indywar2
            Good afternoon everyone,

Just an FYI to the Ryobi switch issue:

I had an issue with my BT3100 table saw continuing to running after the switch was pressed to stop it. I contacted Ryobi, assuming this was the infamous switch problem, by attempting to place a trouble ticket. Their website for this process is extremely glitchy and I was never successfully able to place one.

I did send an e-mail to the company and a quick response was received (Dec 5) from a Sr Safety Rep from the TTi group (maybe Ryobi is outsourcing the safety issues to a 3rd party??).

It was explained that switches are no longer available. "Our 3rd parts supplier purchased 5 years worth of parts after a tool goes out of production. We had a small quality here, but exhausted the supply." I was not overly surprised, as they cannot stock parts forever for something like this.

Rob
            I suppose its not really my business, but what the heck constitutes a five year supply when 100% of switches made in a year or two of production have a known failure mechanism and are likely to fail? IF they made 50,000 saws during that period then the buying the normal failure rate of 5% would not be sufficient. Assuming half the saw owners never get the recall and don't know, and 25 percent of saws will be retired for one reason or another before failing then then need about 25% of the original number made. Not the normal 5% failure/replacement demand.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• TomWillcox
              Handtools only
              • Mar 2011
              • Allentown, PA
              • Ryobi BT-3000

I guess I spoke too soon. Just got off the phone with Robert, a rep with Ryobi. Called me asking to clarify my serial number, and they are shipping out a new switch to me! Perhaps my info just got lost in the customer service system for a while.

Comment

• baumer64
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2016
                • North Central Washington
                • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by TomWillcox
                I guess I spoke too soon. Just got off the phone with Robert, a rep with Ryobi. Called me asking to clarify my serial number, and they are shipping out a new switch to me! Perhaps my info just got lost in the customer service system for a while.
                So who did you speak to Tom? I've been tyring to get an updated switch for my BT3000 and have been told they are no longer available. They first offered to give me $100 or $150 to just cut the cord and toss it. I just received an email offering the full original purchase price + tax of $431. I have to cut the power cord and send a picture. I love my saw but I'm also in the process of moving and will be building a new shop. The $431 could pay a chunk of a new saw. Not sure what to do. I'm sure tempted to take the money, cut the cord and part out the attachments.

Comment

• greencat
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Grand Haven Mi

Originally posted by baumer64

So who did you speak to Tom? I've been tyring to get an updated switch for my BT3000 and have been told they are no longer available. They first offered to give me $100 or $150 to just cut the cord and toss it. I just received an email offering the full original purchase price + tax of $431. I have to cut the power cord and send a picture. I love my saw but I'm also in the process of moving and will be building a new shop. The $431 could pay a chunk of a new saw. Not sure what to do. I'm sure tempted to take the money, cut the cord and part out the attachments.
                  I love my saw but that much money is tempting. Who have you been talking to?
                  Thanks again,
                  Mike

Comment

• TomWillcox
                    Handtools only
                    • Mar 2011
                    • Allentown, PA
                    • Ryobi BT-3000

Apologies for the long time in between posts..... Anyway, I never received a switch--they are indeed no longer available. Instead, they offered me $100 if I cut my cord and sent them a pic. I will let you use your imagination as to what I did.

Comment

• sabhain
                      Handtools only
                      • Jul 2015

Originally posted by JeffG78
                      After many years of trusty service, my BT3100 switch finally failed and in the on position. I was able to take it apart and get it working again, but it only lasted another dozen or so cycles before failing again. I went on Amazon and found that the Ryobi switch is NLA, but another similar switch had a customer review stating that they were able to use the original Ryobi BT3100 switch housing and replace the electrical contact portion with the Amazon part. Anybody here try that? Looks like a decent solution for less than $6.00
                      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DSBWI6...v_ov_lig_dp_it
                      Hi Everyone,

Haven't been in here in a while, but came back looking for a lead on these switches. Just want to say thanks to Jeff for the lead on the parts for the switch. Not a huge user of the saw so don't want to invest in a new one .. but $6 is hard to beat for a fix.

Thanks!

Comment

• Jim Frye
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Maumee, OH, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Many years ago, I was told that over 600,000 BT3Ks were sold (both BT3000 & BT3100). Have no idea how many are still in use today. If I didn’t have the BT3100 to use as a parts source, I’d likely make up something from what’s available. Maybe another 15 amp. saw that’s currently on the market.
                        Jim Frye
                        The Nut in the Cellar.
                        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• sschering
                          Forum Newbie
                          • May 2020
                          • Eugene, OR
                          • BT3000 and it's new friend, a Craftsman 113

I've put in a request for my BT3000 recall switch back in June.. TO my shock and amazement after only 3 months they shipped me a switch that arrived today.. WRONG **** SWITCH..

Comment

• GrumpyDad
                            Established Member
                            • Jul 2020
                            • Midwest
                            • Ryobi BT3100, BT3000, Sawstop PCS

I recently bought a used BT3100 off of CL that had this switch installed by previous owner...
                            https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KPEEPAW/ref=emc_b_5_t

Harumpf!
                            Grumpydad

Last edited by GrumpyDad; 09-02-2020, 10:56 AM.
                            Harumpf!
                            GrumpyDad

Comment

• Hoakie
                              Established Member
                              • Feb 2007
                              • Iowa
                              • Craftsman 21829

I bought the replacement off Amazon for $8. Like other mentioned, it was too small for the mounting holes. I was able to replace the contact housing and new contacts <5 minutes. I assume it will fail again, but the material is different than the original but the new switch does NOT have the spring mechanism Wayne refers to, but. I have pictures of the piece I replaced, it is simply clipped onto the back of the switch body. Just be careful when unclipping as the contacts are not held in by anything but pressure. They are not hard to reseat if they do come loose.

John
                              To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison

Comment

• rogerthat
                                Handtools only
                                • Jan 2021

I just called 1.800.525.2579 and talked with customer support, they created a case, will let y'all know what happens.

Comment

Working...