• Show
Clear All
  • wdreamsmaycome
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2007
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • bt3100 (of course!)

problem with my new bt3100

I just got around to assembling the bt3100 I bought last week (it sure took a while!) and I just noticed that the red miter angle indicator thingie is half broken off (there's just a little nub left). I am positive I didn't cause this in my installation (nothing fell down or anything) but there's no way I am going to take back the whole saw just for that (not to mention that the one I got was the last at that HD, which means that the odds of them having another one to get this part from are practically nil)

Is there anything I can do about this? Make a replacement? order the part from ryobi Canada (assuming they still have any in stock, and assuming I could find the actual part #)? any ideas?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by wdreamsmaycome
    I just got around to assembling the bt3100 I bought last week (it sure took a while!) and I just noticed that the red miter angle indicator thingie is half broken off (there's just a little nub left). I am positive I didn't cause this in my installation (nothing fell down or anything) but there's no way I am going to take back the whole saw just for that (not to mention that the one I got was the last at that HD, which means that the odds of them having another one to get this part from are practically nil)

Is there anything I can do about this? Make a replacement? order the part from ryobi Canada (assuming they still have any in stock, and assuming I could find the actual part #)? any ideas?
    Are you in Canada?
    usually Ryobi USA customer service will replace that for you easily.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• wdreamsmaycome
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2007
      • Vancouver, Canada
      • bt3100 (of course!)

yeah, I am in Canada, I ended up ordering it online from the parts replacement store (it's a $1.50 part, although $8.00 shipping, bah, I took advantage of that to get a second fence indicator while I was there (the transparent piece of plastic with the red line) since it might be useful) we'll see how long it takes to get here...
      Last edited by wdreamsmaycome; 01-22-2007, 01:09 AM.

Comment

• davwho
        Forum Newbie
        • Oct 2006
        • Petawawa Ontario
        • BT3100

i too am in canada (ontario) and am having a h--- of a time finding any accessories let alone replacement parts,if you find a good source,please share the info with me (name,#etc.)
        Thanks
        Dave

Comment

• wdreamsmaycome
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2007
          • Vancouver, Canada
          • bt3100 (of course!)

I've had no luck whatsoever finding accessories here unfortunately, however for replacement parts it seems the support section of the ryobi US website accepts Canadian orders (although of course shipping charges are way too high).

Comment

• JeffG78
            Established Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
            • BT3100

Did you try calling the number in the owners manual? When I put my new saw together a few weeks ago, the black plastic part that slides in the miter fence was a very tight fit and didn't slide smoothly. I searched here and found others that had the same problem. I could have sanded it a bit, but instead I called the customer service number in the manual and told them about the misfitting part. They asked for the serial number and shipped me a new part. I had it within a few days. I couldn't be happier with their customer service. I'm not sure if they would have done anything differently for a Canadian customer, but I doubt it.

Comment

• JSCOOK
              • Sep 2006
              • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
              • Ryobi BT3100-1

Here's where I've ordered parts and such from:

Dixie Sales - Ask for the Canadian Distribution out of New Brunswick, Canada ... I can't find the direct phone number.

Gardner Inc. Based in the USA but will ship to Canada.

There is a new place in Oakville Ontario that is an authorized Ryobi parts distributor now too, but I can't find their name or number again either ...

BTW, the Canadian BORG's will special order the 8 Piece Accessory Kit for about $150 CDN (I called and had them find out a price from their distributor)
              "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
                • Dec 2006
                • hagerstown, md

WTF Canada is attched to this place....it's not like its going overseas.....what gives with the shipping crap? I blame the USPS personally
                パトリック
                daiku woodworking
                ^deshi^
                neoshed

Comment

• JSCOOK
                  • Sep 2006
                  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
                  • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by siliconbauhaus
                  WTF Canada is attched to this place....it's not like its going overseas.....what gives with the shipping crap? I blame the USPS personally
                  Ah, we just get use to it ... Amazon.com treats us like we're Noth Korea and refuses to ship ANY tools to this side of the 49th parallel ... but we learn was around this
                  "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• Black wallnut
                    cycling to health
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                    • BT3k 1999

My guess is that there simply is just not enough profit in it for most companies to ship international. Although this may not in fact be the case many businesses may not be willing to cut through the red tape even if the tape is only imagined. In my daily job I've delt with full truck loads that cross hte 49th II and what a pian it is when all of the required shipping documents are not in order or if the "importing Broker" does not file the correct paperwork. It just may be that Customs is either a PITA or a percieved PITA either way a small exporter's answer to the problem will be the same.

My personal view is that Ryobi is making a mistake in not taking care of their customers above the magic line. Opinions aside it is also possible that the agreement between Ryobi and Ryobi Canada is such that Ryobi USA is forbidden from offering customer support in Canada.

BTW the C$150. you are spending on the accessory kit might be spent better elsewhere; it was the common agreement that there is very lillte of value in the user's kit. YMMV
                    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• wdreamsmaycome
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Vancouver, Canada
                      • bt3100 (of course!)

I still haven't received the replacement plastic tab, will post back once I finally do: but yeah, we Canadians are kind of used to being treated like second class citizens when it comes to stuff like this... I still don't understand why Amazon Canada does not sell tools at all, and why Amazon US is so opposed to mail them over here direct (they sure don't have any issues with books etc.)

Comment

Working...