• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Bassett
    Established Member
    • May 2003
    • Shalimar, Florida, USA.

BT3K throat Plate

Sucked Lee Styrons Aluminum push stick into the saw blade. Anyone have an extra stock throat plate they want to part with?
    Bob Bassett from Northwest Florida
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Bob Bassett
    Sucked Lee Styrons Aluminum push stick into the saw blade. Anyone have an extra stock throat plate they want to part with?
    New throat plate? I think I'd need a new pair of shorts!

FWIW, I have a shark push stick but I usually use a wooden one or pne of those commercial plastic push shoes, it's "sacrificial" if need be.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-31-2006, 07:20 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I always use wooden or plastic push sticks. If I'm using a push stick it is too close to the blade for my hand to be. I do not want to worry about touching the blade with the push stick (mine push sticks have touched the blade on multiple occasions).

Jim

Comment

• Bob Bassett
        Established Member
        • May 2003

Gonna make some of those wooden blocks . You cut them so they have a step on the end to hook the wood.

Comment

• mschrank
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2004
          • Hood River, OR, USA.
          • BT3000

Seems like a perfect opportunity to make some ZCTP's!!
          Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• Bob Bassett
            Established Member
            • May 2003

Originally posted by mschrank
            Seems like a perfect opportunity to make some ZCTP's!!
            I have a couple ZCTP's - the Ryobi one and one of Lee's. Just wasn't using them at the time.

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

I use zero clearance plates almost all the time because I lost a set of belts when a small off-cut fell into the belts. I make them of pre-finished laminated wood flooring that is about 3/8 thick. I dado the edges and drill the holes after cross-cutting the pieces (ripping is essentially unnecessary other than to take off the tongue and groove which happens on the groove side during the dadoing). It's good to do a half dozen or so at a time because the setups are the most time consuming part of the process.

I have a stock throat plate and occasionally use it for an angled cut that I have not made a ZCTP for yet or to get the maximum possible rip capacity but most of the time, the stock plate is in the drawer.

Jim

Comment

• Stytooner
                Roll Tide RIP Lee
                • Dec 2002
                • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                • BT3100

Sorry to hear that Bob.
                I will say that the push stick with the shark is really only meant to be used with the shark. Then it has little chance of getting caught. The same really applies to any push stick type device. It should only be used with a guard. Contact with the blade using ANY hand held push stick can be dangerous. It can do several different things. It can knock the stick out of your hand, draw the stick down along with your hand, give you a bad jolt to the hand or simply cut the stick. No telling which scenario will happen with any given cut.
                If you are going to intentionally cut or sacrifice a pushing device, it needs to be a shoe type. At least is is held against the table and is much less likely to jerk or grab.
                I don't recommend cutting Mine or Thom's or Rockler's aluminum push sticks or the plastic or wood types either. The blade really should be avoided at all costs.
                Lee

Comment

Working...