• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSCOOK
    • Sep 2006
    • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Ridge Carbide 8" Dado-Master on BT3100?

I am interested to know if the Ridge Carbide 8" Dado-Master (from Holbren) will fit on the Ryobi BT3100-1?

Yes, I have searched the forums and it seems to me like using 8" dados on the BT3 TS depends on individual results ... not definitely clear or not. I have also read the FAQ's too ... I am not interested in hearing "... should use a 6" dado on the BT3 ..."

So I'd like to hear from anyone who has tried or actually used the Ridge Carbide 8" Dado on the BT3100 ... does it work or not? ... any issues with fit, arbor, interference?

Thanks guys!
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JSCOOK
    I am interested to know if the Ridge Carbide 8" Dado-Master (from Holbren) will fit on the Ryobi BT3100-1?

Yes, I have searched the forums and it seems to me like using 8" dados on the BT3 TS depends on individual results ... not definitely clear or not. I have also read the FAQ's too ... I am not interested in hearing "... should use a 6" dado on the BT3 ..."

So I'd like to hear from anyone who has tried or actually used the Ridge Carbide 8" Dado on the BT3100 ... does it work or not? ... any issues with fit, arbor, interference?

Thanks guys!
    I wrote the FAQ on the dadoes and I own a 8" dado. I know fullwell the problems.
    Regardless of the brand, a stacked 8" dado will have a slight problem
    with the full width. The 8" diameter prevents you from taking off the last 1/4" spacer. Thus the full stack will rest on threads and the left-side blade will cut a deeper depth than the rest of the dado because it is slightly offcenter.

A 6" dado will sit right against the motor housing with no spacer. this allows the full width stack to sit fully on the arbor.

If you won't go larger than 11/16 or maybe 3/4" width dado an 8" will be OK on the BT3.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JSCOOK
      • Sep 2006
      • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

Maybe I miss understood or misread something going thru the various threads on BT3K dados used, as it seemed some worked and some didn't ... I was thinking it was cause by the "stackup" of two outer blade thicknesses, some fitting and some slightly too "thick" hence ending up on the threads of the arbor when used at full width.

From LCIEN's response, I went back out to my saw and pulled out the blade throat plate and looked again ... is it the aluminum housing piece that cups around to supports the splitter & guard that is the issue with using an 8" dado's? ...
      Last edited by JSCOOK; 10-31-2006, 07:52 PM.
      "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JSCOOK
        Maybe I miss understood or misread something going thru the various threads on BT3K dados used, as it seemed some worked and some didn't ... I was thinking it was cause by the "stackup" of two outer blade thicknesses, some fitting and some slightly too "thick" hence ending up on the threads of the arbor when used at full width.

From LCIEN's response, I went back out to my saw and pulled out the blade throat plate and looked again ... is it the aluminum housing piece that cups around to supports the splitter & guard that is the issue with using an 8" dado's? ...
        well, they all work, its just whether you want that extra groove when the outer blade sits on the threads. Some people say they're happy, other's say its not good. Depends upon your take.

I say, to work properly, get a 6" dado. A 8" will work with the limitations I mentioned.

I have the 8", it's not so bad I'm going to sell it and buy a 6" but if I had it to do over, I'd buy the 6" Freud SD206.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mpc
          • Feb 2005
          • Cypress, CA, USA.
          • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I have the Freud 8 inch set and it basically works on my BT3000. With all arbor spacers removed the blades just grazed the aluminum casting at the back of the saw. A bit of work with a file gave me plenty of clearance. I haven't tried making any deep and wide dados yet so I don't know if the BT's motor (mine's the early 13 amp model too) will bog down or not.

mpc

Comment

Working...