This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big tim
    replied
    I love my SMT, after some minor adjustment when it came out of the box almost 6 years ago, I haven't had to adjust it since. I have had no problems with accuracy or repeatability. For cross cutting extra wide panels, I remove the SMT fence, install a aluminum angle bracket at the front end of the SMT with two #8 screws, drilled and tapped for in the SMT and away we go. If the panels are extra long, I support the end with a roller ball stand. I have even cut strips of the bottom of a door, granted it was a narrow door, but it worked.

Tim

Leave a comment:

• eezlock
    replied
    smt vs. miter slots ?

I have miter slots on both sides of the blade, never really liked or felt comfortable with the smt. I bought the Incra V-27 and like it so much
    if I decided to sell the saw...I would keep the it and use it on the new saw as well. eezlock

Leave a comment:

• Jim Boyd
    replied
    All the time I had my Bt3000 I never had or needed the miter slots. I made a bunch of sleds for the SMT.

Leave a comment:

• cgallery
    replied
    After finally fine-tuning my SMT to perfection, I decided I was still unhappy with the SMT fence. Too subject to movement. I added my own miter slot extension using an Incra miter channel, purchased a V27 miter gauge, and I haven't looked back.

Leave a comment:

• gmack5
    replied
    Not set up yet

I have two MSTs, but I haven't had the shop set up to where I could install everything.
    Monday or Tuesday will start the process of getting all my tools out of storage and setting them up.

Leave a comment:

• Hellrazor
    replied
    Originally posted by Ken Massingale
    Guess I can still vote, I did have a BT3K for years.
    After I installed a MST and got an Incra V27, I never used the SMT again. But that is another of those personal preference things and not to say that those who adore the SMT are wrong.
    ken
    Same thing I did here, I do not like the SMT...

Leave a comment:

• thestinker
    replied
    Well one of these days I am going to expand the bt with a wide table and all the good things that go with that. When I do that I will put in some slots and get some kind of incra jig to go with it. The SMT is good, but having the option of both is better.

Leave a comment:

• Ken Weaver
    replied
    I have the right side slots installed - primarily for more real estate on the table. I did have a second set of slots installed on the left thinking of making a cross cut sled but found the SMT did it just as well. Also felt it put the SMT too far from the blade so I took the left side slots off. Result - never use the slots, just the SMT.

Leave a comment:

• Pappy
    replied
    I have the slots installed only for the runners on my miter sleds.

Leave a comment:

• Ken Massingale
    replied
    Guess I can still vote, I did have a BT3K for years.
    After I installed a MST and got an Incra V27, I never used the SMT again. But that is another of those personal preference things and not to say that those who adore the SMT are wrong.
    ken

Leave a comment:

• zintk
    replied
    Miter slot poll

Why own a BT if you don't use the SMT?

Leave a comment:

• ChrisD
    replied
    I installed the MST for one purpose: to hold a featherboard. The accuracy of my SMT was dead-on out of the box.

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    started a poll Poll on Miter slots

Poll on Miter slots

Use miter slots exclusively , don't use the SMT
    9.70%
    Use both the SMT and the Miter slots
    41.82%
    Only use SMT, have Miter slots
    19.39%
    Only use the SMT, don't have Miter slots
    25.45%
    What the heck is a miter slot?
    3.64%

The poll is expired.

As the keep of the FAQ, I was made curious by some recent post activity.

How many actually like and use the miter slots versus those who use the
    SMT?

I know some people feel very strongly one way or the other.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-15-2006, 12:22 AM.
Working...