X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken Massingale
    replied
    Originally posted by bigfoot
    FINALLY, proof I am not totally insane.. lol

I'm open to ideas Phil, and if I get time this week, I am going to try an idea of my own, will let you know if the result is positive.
    Just go ahead and do the MST's and miter table, Scott. No more worries and cheap. JMHO
    ken

Leave a comment:

• bigfoot
    replied
    Originally posted by prlundberg
    I've noticed the same thing on my Sears 21829 SMT. To me, it seems like the miter fence clamp just isn't strong enough. I usually end up tightening it to a point that it's a struggle to untighten it, and even then it isn't all that solid IMO. For my use it's fine, but I can see where it could be an issue when trying to make accurate repeatable miters. I don't think the SMT should be considered a substitute for a good miter saw, although for most uses it will do what's needed. But I'm no expert by any means. Anybody else here have thoughts on that?

Phil
    FINALLY, proof I am not totally insane.. lol

I'm open to ideas Phil, and if I get time this week, I am going to try an idea of my own, will let you know if the result is positive.

Leave a comment:

• prlundberg
    replied
    I've noticed the same thing on my Sears 21829 SMT. To me, it seems like the miter fence clamp just isn't strong enough. I usually end up tightening it to a point that it's a struggle to untighten it, and even then it isn't all that solid IMO. For my use it's fine, but I can see where it could be an issue when trying to make accurate repeatable miters. I don't think the SMT should be considered a substitute for a good miter saw, although for most uses it will do what's needed. But I'm no expert by any means. Anybody else here have thoughts on that?

Phil

Leave a comment:

• bigfoot
    replied
    [QUOTE=LCHIEN;217528]

And so you also have the black post in the left or right hole on the SMT?
    Yes, in the right side hole, the side nearest the blade with the table on the left of the blade. I have followed procedures in the manual, and aligned and trued the SMT, SMT fence, and the 90 degree stop (although 90 degree cuts are within my acceptable limits). The darn fence just likes to wiggle ever so slight at 45 degrees, possibly other angles in that neighborhood. Like I said, I mainly cut 90's and 45 degree miters, and those miters must be spot on. I may just end up buying a miter saw, setting it for 45, getting it perfect, and leaving it at that setting forever, a dedicated miter saw, so to speak. I have tried cleaning em up with a shooting board and a block plane, which gets the angle perfect, but in doing so, I end up with the mated pairs off a rats hair in length, and again, bad frame alignment. It's a never ending battle. Maybe I am too fussy.

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    replied
    [quote=bigfoot;217508]
    Originally posted by LCHIEN
    If you are referring to the Ryobi miter clamp,

Nope, refering to the fence clamp. The fence is rock solid when set for a 90 degree cut, but when set at any other angle the fence has an ever so slight, almost not noticible wiggle. Just enough to screw up a perfect miter. I do not have the miter clamp you describe. And yes, I have already double checked, I have the miter fence clamp assembled properly, per the manual, not per the HD display..

-scott
    And so you also have the black post in the left or right hole on the SMT?

Leave a comment:

• bigfoot
    replied
    [QUOTE=LCHIEN;217486]If you are referring to the Ryobi miter clamp,

Nope, refering to the fence clamp. The fence is rock solid when set for a 90 degree cut, but when set at any other angle the fence has an ever so slight, almost not noticible wiggle. Just enough to screw up a perfect miter. I do not have the miter clamp you describe. And yes, I have already double checked, I have the miter fence clamp assembled properly, per the manual, not per the HD display..

-scott

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    replied
    I do not have miter slots, but I am seriously considering adding on both sides and building a miter sled. Problem I have is I need super accurate 45 degree miters for box lids and bases. No matter how carefully I have set the smt fence in the past, the miters always seem erratic, ie: cut pieces for 4 lids, 2 have miters slightly over 45, 2 have miters slightly under. Last batch of six lid frames I finally saw the problem, and do not really see a solution in my mind. When the fence is set at 45, and the clamp is tightened, it will wiggle, or rock, fore and aft on the clamp. This, in effect, changes the angle ever so slightly. So any ideas on how to make a better clamp? I boght the bt for the smt, so the thought of miter slots pains me, but I need accuracy.
    If you are referring to the Ryobi miter clamp, it does have a problem so to speak. It has a compunbd action that as it draws the wood down it also draws it tight to the fence. Problem arises when the Miter clamp is tigthened more than the Miter fence is tightened to the SMT. The miter fence will actually be pulled toward the wood.
    The easy solution I found is to make sure the miter fence is firmly but not overly tightened to the SMT. Then use modest force on the miter clamp (always less force than the Miter fence is tightened) so that the wood is held down gently and finally check that the miter angle has not changed when you do this.

Leave a comment:

• bigfoot
    replied
    accuracy

I do not have miter slots, but I am seriously considering adding on both sides and building a miter sled. Problem I have is I need super accurate 45 degree miters for box lids and bases. No matter how carefully I have set the smt fence in the past, the miters always seem erratic, ie: cut pieces for 4 lids, 2 have miters slightly over 45, 2 have miters slightly under. Last batch of six lid frames I finally saw the problem, and do not really see a solution in my mind. When the fence is set at 45, and the clamp is tightened, it will wiggle, or rock, fore and aft on the clamp. This, in effect, changes the angle ever so slightly. So any ideas on how to make a better clamp? I boght the bt for the smt, so the thought of miter slots pains me, but I need accuracy.

Leave a comment:

• Larryl
    replied
    I have the miter slots mounted to the right of the blade and on some rare occasions find it quicker to cut exact lengths using a block clamped to the fence (hope this makes sense), than setting up a stop on the SMT. Another factor is that I have the rails slid all the way to the right (except for the width of the SMT) to get the most working space I can without the extensions.

Leave a comment:

• JimD
    replied
    I said I didn't use my miter slot (Kirby type) but I guess I should admit I use it for temporary storage of the screws that hold my ZCTP when I am changing saw blades.

Narrow cross cuts are on the CMS. Wider cross cuts are either the radial arm saw or the SMT. I do not use the SMT on heavy stuff. Even with support I do not find it enjoyable and it has been inaccurate for me. I prefer just to clamp on a "shoot board" and cut with a hand-held circular saw if the piece is heavy.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Black wallnut
    replied
    I had to skew the results.... I do know what miter slots are but have NEVER felt their need or missed them! The SMT has done everything I've ever asked of it including being the base for my tenoning jig.

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    replied
    Originally posted by leehljp
    I always feel like an oddball (cause I am) with most polls because nothing actually fits me and my work habits. I checked that I have both but use only the SMT. I do use the slots about 1 in 200 at the most. That does not give real justice to saying that I use both.

I have the Woodhaven miter and use it only when I need for the miter fence be real close to the blade. With the MST installed, the SMT Fence only comes only to about an inch or so from the fence, there are rare times that I need the fence to be within a 1/4 inch of the blade, so then I use the Woodhaven. This happens once a year to once every two years. I could get around this by making an extended sacraficial fence for use on the SMT Fence.

Never the less, does once every year to two years accurately portray "use both" when the SMT fence is used almost exclusively?
    That's fine Hank, 1 in 200 would qualify in my book as only using the SMT.
    Don't want to or can't have too many categories or qualifications - must keep these things simple (and as a poll-maker, you can't always think of every combination - like the last poll I had an entry alternative fuels, some guy said he used diesel so he cchecked it, I really meant non-fossil fuels).

Leave a comment:

• lcm1947
    replied
    I really don't use the smt anymore since making a sled. Between the sled and having a 12" sliding miter saw which is faster to use then setting the fence on the smt especially for long pieces I've just about stopped using it. When it was all I had I loved it. I had no problems with it not being Accurate and thought the world of it but it is limited compared to the sled and miter saw.

Leave a comment:

• leehljp
    replied
    I always feel like an oddball (cause I am) with most polls because nothing actually fits me and my work habits. I checked that I have both but use only the SMT. I do use the slots about 1 in 200 at the most. That does not give real justice to saying that I use both.

I have the Woodhaven miter and use it only when I need for the miter fence be real close to the blade. With the MST installed, the SMT Fence only comes only to about an inch or so from the fence, there are rare times that I need the fence to be within a 1/4 inch of the blade, so then I use the Woodhaven. This happens once a year to once every two years. I could get around this by making an extended sacraficial fence for use on the SMT Fence.

Never the less, does once every year to two years accurately portray "use both" when the SMT fence is used almost exclusively?
    Last edited by leehljp; 10-15-2006, 07:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DUD
    replied
    I have Rod Kirby's designed miter slot in my saw, but I can't ever remember using it. It was just something I thought I might use at some point. Bill

Leave a comment:

Working...