Clear All
  • Veramacor
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2006
    • Macomb Twp, Mich
    • BT3100

New BT owner likes standard width base

Hi all,

Please excuse my ramblings - I'm an exited newbie....

I'm a proud owner of a new BT3100! I just don't have it yet (The parents are 'hiding' it at their house till xmas). I do have access to it for measurements though.

I was wondering if anyone has made a mobile cabinet base for the BT with just the single set of standard rails. My space is at PREMIUM and the standard rail width will fit snuggly in my workshop, that is if my father doesnt want to give it up.

I really like the wide table designs and there are many on this site, but not too many standard examples. I was wondering if anyone out there would care to post their example BTx setup.

My goal is to implement my existing Hitachi Router (highly recommend this thing - quiet and smooth) into the aluminum router table rail attachment. I was thinking of using Kirby's wood table extension to fill the gap.

I really like Phil Thien's 'Frankenvac' solution for dust collection. I have a 16 gallon shop vac and really no room for a monster DC. I'm probably going to incorporate a FrankenVac into the cabinet design, giving collection to both the saw and a router (just bought my blast gates at woodcraft today).

And oh yes, I will convince the wife that the Shark Guard is a necessary safety item and will be getting one.

If anyone out there has cut their extension rails in half and would like to sell them, I'd be interested in that route. That would be the absolute maximum width I could go.

I have to say this site has been incredibly helpful in my choice of a TS. I just can't believe the following this brand of saw has!

Jeff
    Rule #1: Never worry about the little things.
    Rule #2: EVERYTHING is a little thing.
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Welcome to the Asylum, Jeff. I can't think of a custom base for a standard width saw but this set up could be modified easily.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BT3K cabinet 2.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	779748

It is built in the older style BT3000 base but you could add a frame for it. More info is here. http://www2.gol.com/users/nhavens/htmlfile/bt3k2-e.html

When I was uploading the picture, I found this one from one of the magazines. Maybe someone else has more info on it.

Name:	BT3K base.JPG
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	779749
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I have a 3000 in Japan with a base similar to the blue/gray base above. I also have a 3100 in the US. I just added plain simple wheels to it to make it very movable.

Not to steal the thread, but Pappy, by posting that picture, I thought Norm had come back online. It didn't take 2 seconds to recognize it.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• jAngiel
        • Oct 2003
        • Ryobi BT3100

Another option is the herc-u-lift plus for about $15 on clearance at HD. It was a pain to put on, but well worth it.
        James

Comment

• Tom Miller
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Twin Cities, MN
          • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by leehljp
          ...I thought Norm had come back online. It didn't take 2 seconds to recognize it.
          You and me, both!

Jeff, if you think you have room for half rails, you might consider making a mobile base to that length. If you should ever happen to add full rails at some point, you'd have enough base to support them.

Although I currently have the full wide table kit, I made my base undersized thinking I might cut my rails. I still may do that, and make the cutoff portion easily re-installed as needed.

My base is ~4.5 ft. long, with a removable, cantilevered table support on the right:

Name:	Mobile Base - Complete.jpg
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	779750

Regards,
          Tom

Comment

Working...