• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Making a BT3000 mobile

I have a BT3000 with the older rectangular stand. I would build a mobile base (rolling workstation) for it, but I have limited space and find the metal stand handy for accessing the inner parts of the saw (through the bottom) for maintenance.

On this page:

A BT3K user has added washers to the top holes of this BT3000 wheels to get the rubber closer to the ground. The way the casters are normally installed, you have to lift the opposite end of the saw quite high to move it around. With washers installed, he says he has to lift approx. 1 foot less!

This got me to thinking. I could make the same change, and then purchase one of these:

(Step-on caster only, about $16). I could mount it on a strip of wood, and mount that strip of wood to the bottom of my BT3000 stand opposite the Ryobi casters (there are even holes present on that side of the stand). Then prehaps I could have a mobile base for $16 that uses with my current stand.

The question I have is whether the 3/4" lift the step-on caster provides would be enough to get those Ryobi casters on the ground.

Would the wedges that have been supplied w/ caster sets for the BT3100 help me? Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad of the Ryobi wheels were always on the ground. They don't swivel.

I'd sorta like to avoid the standard metal-frame bases, as I think my feel would kick the metal angle in front of the saw a lot.

Any thoughts?
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Originally posted by cgallery
    I'd sorta like to avoid the standard metal-frame bases, as I think my feel would kick the metal angle in front of the saw a lot.
    In that case, I'd give that Rockler thing a try. I don't know how low you can get the Ryobi casters, but you're on the right path.

Good Luck,
    JR
    JR

Comment

• wardprobst
      • Jan 2006
      • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
      • Craftsman 22811

Go to the articles section, there are several that will help you to make a decision. In particular, Jim Dwight uses a very similar base on his mobile BT3. Also look at J.P. Honeywell's handles.
      DP
      www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Tom Miller
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Twin Cities, MN
        • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

If you intend for the Ryobi casters to be unweighted when in position, I don't think 3/4" of lift on the opposite end is going to get all the weight onto the casters, and off the rubber "feet".

But, you could have the casters set lower, so that they're always carrying the weight on that end. Then, your setup would mimic the full Rockler stand.

Before making my mobile base, I had the casters with washers setup on my square-base BT3. On the opposite end, I made a ~16" long flip up handle which allowed me to easily lift and position the saw. Not as elegant as what you're looking at, but it was cheap and worked well.

Regards,
        Tom

Comment

• big tim
          • Mar 2006
          • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
          • SawStop PCS

I just finished making my own version of the "Herc-U-Lift" calling it the "tim-will-lift", 4 swivel casters, some mdf, nuts and bolts and a screendoor catch. It's working like a charm. Home Depot in my area of Toronto quoted me $194 for the Herc-U-Lift. Ludicrous.
          I'm trying to figure out how to start a thread and include pictures. Once I do I'll post it.
          Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• big tim
            • Mar 2006
            • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
            • SawStop PCS

Wow!!!
            3 plus hours later, I managed to post a thread with pictures of my "Tim-Will-Lift". It's in the Testing Forum.
            I also made some drawings with dimensions of the lift. If anyone is interested, let me know and I could try to post those as well.
            Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

Originally posted by big tim
              Wow!!!
              3 plus hours later, I managed to post a thread with pictures of my "Tim-Will-Lift". It's in the Testing Forum.
              I also made some drawings with dimensions of the lift. If anyone is interested, let me know and I could try to post those as well.
              Very clever, Tim. I may borrow some things from your design. I'm hoping to develop something that can be foot operated, as I have a pretty bad back. But I do see that the four swivel casters in your method would provide better mobility than the design I'm working on.

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

I am nearly finished with the final version of this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Caster Lift 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	779728

Have to go out of town this week end, but the I should have pics and dimensions posted the next weeked.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

Working...