• Show
Clear All
  • aiyou
    SawdustZone Patron
    • Mar 2006
    • Charlotte, NC
    • BT3100

Wide Table vs Standard Rails

I'm looking to incorporate an additional set of rails for a mobile base, and have seen numerous references to both standard and wide table rails. Are these the same length? If not, what's the length of the wide table rails? Trying to figure out which may be best for my planned base.

Thanks in advance,
    Rob
  • Bulkley
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2005
    • British Columbia, Canada.

It really depends upon what you intend to do with it. A friend of mine makes Shaker boxes and small items and a small surface with short rails is all he needs. I build cabinets and need to be able to slice 4 x 8 sheets down the middle. I have 50" rails and a feed out table and often think that it is way too small.

Either way, the space can be used for a variety of purposes. Peruse the Articles section of this site, particularly the mobile bases.

Comment

• aiyou
      SawdustZone Patron
      • Mar 2006
      • Charlotte, NC
      • BT3100

At this point, not sure what scale projects I'll be doing. However, I have an 8' long space where I plan on parking my mobile base. Currently looking at a planned 6' base, with a separate 2' mobile cabinet (perhaps that I can incorporate as a portable outfeed table).

After looking at the various mobile base plans, and trying to account for the projected rail overhang to the left of the TS (using the standard factory rails), not sure if I'll need an additional set of factory rails, or should try to acquire a wide rail kit. So, if someone can tell me how long the wide table rails are, I can then back those in to my calculations.

Comment

• RodKirby
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
        • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

"Wide table" rails are exactly the same length as the originals.
        Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• nadz
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2005
          • Rocket City, AL, USA.

wide table

good info...i am also looking at adding a wide table kit...just seems like a good idea, initally i was just going to build an outfeed table, but i think the large workspace will be a huge benefit and the possibility of building some cabinetry/shelving underneath would elminate some storage issues...

so i think im going to go with a wide table kit and make a long outfeed table also...

-nadz
          -----------------------------------------------------------------
          Proudly piddling in my garage shop | BT3K, Rigid 10" CMS, Rigid 12" Planer, HF Jointer

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by aiyou
            I'm looking to incorporate an additional set of rails for a mobile base, and have seen numerous references to both standard and wide table rails. Are these the same length? If not, what's the length of the wide table rails? Trying to figure out which may be best for my planned base.

Thanks in advance,
            Rob
            The so called Wide Table kit (WTK) contains
            two rails the same length (42") as the ones on your saw.
            Plus some hardware for connecting them and a table filler support.
            It does not contain legs to support the end nor the table itself, you have to pprovide them.

Good picture in a current "for sale" post (showing DIY table filler w/router mount and legs):
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-07-2006, 05:23 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• aiyou
              SawdustZone Patron
              • Mar 2006
              • Charlotte, NC
              • BT3100

Thanks, all, for the quick and detailed responses..

Comment

• drumpriest
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                • Powermatic PM 2000

If 84" rails seem a bit large to you, you can do what I did. I split rails with another member of this fine forum. This gave me a 44" rip capacity to the right with my miter slots and SMT installed. I've not used all of that capacity really, I think the biggest rip I've ever made on my BT was 36"
                Keith Z. Leonard
                Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...