• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Forstner bit 24hour internet sale Grizzly

24 hours (Today only) Grizzly Forstner Bit sale $29.95. Not sure how great they are, but if a back up set is needed or a first set is needed, this is a good price.

I have two forstner bit sets, or I would jump on it.

<h1>D3573 Forstner Bit 16 pc. Set</h1> <h2>Forstner Bits are the most accurate and versatile of all wood bits.</h2> <p>The bits in the D3573 Forstner Bit 16 pc. Set cut extremely smooth and clean flat-bottomed holes in any species of wood, even in thin stock or veneers.</p> <p>We cannot emphasize enough how happy you will be with these. </p> <p>Shank size is 3/8". Comes with a nice wood storage box.</p> <p>Includes: 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 7/8" round-shank bits</p> <p>Also 1", 1-1/8", 1-1/4", 1-3/8", 1-1/2", 1-5/8", 1-3/4", 1-7/8", 2", 2-1/8" saw-toothed hex-shank bits. </p> <p><b>Hex shanks on larger bits prevent slippage, shank scarring, and wobble caused by poor chucking.</b></p>
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • trungdok
    Established Member
    • Oct 2012
    • MA

Sale is over now, but I have a question about forstner bit. What do you usually do to get rid of the center hole at the bottom?

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by trungdok
      Sale is over now, but I have a question about forstner bit. What do you usually do to get rid of the center hole at the bottom?
      Live with it... Usually if you have a flat bottom large hole the bottom is covered up.
      A through hole of course the bottom is gone.

As a hint, when drilling through holes, I usually set the bit depth so the point just pokes through but does not cut all the way around. Then I flip the work over and position the forstner center in the hole that poked though and finish the cut from the backside. This makes a clean hole entry with no tear out on either side. Using a fence makes this even easier to line up.
      The other trick with both forstners and brad point drill with outer cutters is to enter the wood very slowly so that the edge of the forstner cuts the wood grain cleanly around the perimeter of the hole..
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-09-2016, 04:11 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I do the same as Loring. But your question does bring up another question from me - Why does the hole in the center seem to be a problem from your perspective? If it is a through hole, the center hole not there; if it is a depth hole, 99 times out of 100 (for me) what ever fits in will cover it, . . . i.e. the bottoms are not going to be seen.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I've used white carpenters glue mixed with wood dust to form a peanut butter consistency substance to fill up the hole in the bottom of a forstener drilled hole.
          This was on some wood kids toys that needed some holes for decorative purposes and holes that they put their little wood toys in.

Comment

• trungdok
            Established Member
            • Oct 2012
            • MA

Originally posted by leehljp
            I do the same as Loring. But your question does bring up another question from me - Why does the hole in the center seem to be a problem from your perspective? If it is a through hole, the center hole not there; if it is a depth hole, 99 times out of 100 (for me) what ever fits in will cover it, . . . i.e. the bottoms are not going to be seen.
            I can't find the picture of the thing I wanted to do (only when I need it). Essentially I wanted a nice hole for a decorative wood handle for drawers. The hole would be exposed and there would be a piece of wood extends from one side of the circle to the other, through the center.

I supposed I could do what capncarl suggested. Now I'm thinking I could use a router with a bearing guide to clean out the bottom as well. Didn't think about that before.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

Trungdoc, if you are going to use the router rather after the forstner bit, just use the router for the whole job.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by capncarl
                Trungdoc, if you are going to use the router rather after the forstner bit, just use the router for the whole job.
                Use a forstner bit to cut the hole template, Then use the router bit with a flush trim top bearing bit to cut the hole... You may have to do some juggling with the trim bit cut depth and the template thickness to get the depth of hole you want.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• tjoosk
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2019

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by tjoosk
                    Read post #2 in this thread and the various replies.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...