• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

$2.00 3-inch free-wheel casters TiP

Technically, this is not a bargain as it is not currently available, but this probably will be on sale again for $7.99 at the end of December and in magazine ads:

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

I purchased two of the dollies this past weekend and intentionally bought one for the casters only. I removed them and they are much cheaper than any other 3-inch wheels at HF.

This is currently $11.99 at HF but as mentioned was on sale this past weekend for $7.99.

Look for the sale that should be coming up at New Years, as it might be available. Sometimes they are in coupons that are in magazines, and in some "Inside Track Club" coupons.

I should get one more set for my needs. Cheap - compared to regular priced and even on-sale casters.

As a side note, I looked at the wood that makes these up and found one that had some "curly" wood in it and will probably use that for a pen!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

Good idea Hank, and I know a way to make a cheap lock for those even tho they have none. Looks to be load rated high enough to use on about anything.Thanks

Comment

• jdon
      Established Member
      • Feb 2010
      • Snoqualmie, Wash.
      • BT3100

I got one of these last week to help move some of my in-laws furniture. The casters were terrible- they wouldn't swivel even when supporting a lightweight dresser. Holding the platform vertically the casters wouldn't even turn by gravity. Maybe with some lubrication and TLC they might have worked, but I ended up returning to HF for refund (and carrying the furniture). I have doubts about their ability to swivel under a heavy load such as a stationary power tool.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

i have once of the cheap hf dollies as well, the casters aren't really all that good, they are hard to steer so I assume its a non-smooth swivelling problem like JDON suggests.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• toolguy1000
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2009
          • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by tommyt654
          Good idea Hank, and I know a way to make a cheap lock for those even tho they have none. Looks to be load rated high enough to use on about anything.Thanks
          and that way of making a cheap lock would be.......?
          there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by jdon
            I got one of these last week to help move some of my in-laws furniture. The casters were terrible- they wouldn't swivel even when supporting a lightweight dresser. Holding the platform vertically the casters wouldn't even turn by gravity. Maybe with some lubrication and TLC they might have worked, but I ended up returning to HF for refund (and carrying the furniture). I have doubts about their ability to swivel under a heavy load such as a stationary power tool.
            Wow, Mine are in good shape and work FINE. My 8 year old twin grandsons were here over the weekend too and guess what they played with on the driveway - the two dollies. I took one apart after they played with it! Neither were overly loose or too tight in the swivel and both rolled well and the boys played on it like a skateboard!

I guess this is one of those HF products that will be good for one fellow and bad for the next. I am considering myself lucky!

Adding in, I have a LARGE furniture dolly (28" by 42" with 5" casters) that I made about 6 years ago and it handles my sofas and dresser type of moves. This HF one is for lightweight stuff, not anything that will hang over the sides and throw it off balance.
            Last edited by leehljp; 12-01-2011, 09:12 PM.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

jdon and Loring hit why cheap casters are best left on the shelf. The wheels will normally roll ok and handle the rated load, or close to it. The problem is there is a sinble row of bearings in the swivel and even that will have a gap equal to at least one bearing size. Add por tolerances on the center rivet and the caster will flex and bind when it has to swivel.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• tommyt654
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by toolguy1000
                and that way of making a cheap lock would be.......?
                Since these are usually attached to a frame made of 2x4 I simply attach another piece of lumber preferably a 2x2 to the inside with a few strap hinges that allow it to hang down near the wheels and put a T-nut in the 2x2 and drill a hole thru the 2x4 frame and run a bolt thru a washer and the 2x4 to the T-nut and tighten it to clamp pressure on the 2x2 as it rest against the wheels.

Comment

• IWannabe
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Feb 2006
                  • MD

For those who are in the HF mailing, there was a coupon in the November issue that had the 3" casters on sale for $1.79 (regular $4.99) for Item 66360/41516. No brakes, limit 8.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-...ter-66360.html (website shows $2.99 sale price)

HTH.

Comment

Working...