X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • markwlewis
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2007

Woodcraft clearance!

Woodcraft has clearance deals on their website. Some (like the under-10-buck Swiss chisels on deal) were not available locally, HOWEVER, I got THREE Leigh dovetail bits in a package, marked 39.99, for FIVE DOLLARS AND some odd cents, plus tax. This was a surprise to one of the owners of the Woodcraft store in Stanton, CA, but I had a printout of the web listing and she honored it. She has two left in the showcase (locked) on the router bit aisle. Other things on deal too!
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Originally posted by markwlewis
    This was a surprise to one of the owners of the Woodcraft store in Stanton, CA, but I had a printout of the web listing and she honored it. She has two left in the showcase (locked) on the router bit aisle. Other things on deal too!
    I wonder (but kind of doubt) whether the store owners get any price protection on those kinds of deals. I'm guessing she (owner) paid quite a bit more than $5 for that set.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

My WC manager says they are not obligated to honor online clearance pricing. Specials are different, as they are notified well in advance, and can get stock at reduced cost. He says the clearances are exactly that; WC is trying to get rid of their own dead warehouse stock, or clear out items that have been (or are going to be) discontinued. They are not done with any regard for individual store stock.

Comment

• jussi
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007

I know for certain my branch doesn't honor those deals. I tried to to get the wixey fence readout + angle gauge they had on special on their site and the local branch said they can't match their price.
        I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• tribalwind
          • Feb 2004
          • long island, ny.

thanks for sharing,
          y'know i've looked through that clearance section now n then but never see much that catches my eye..most of the deals are kinda thin .. $20 dvds for 18 etc. the regular-price on much seems highly inflated.
          would anyone buy those 3 ( high-speed steel ?) bits with 1/4" shanks for $40? i know i wouldnt...but $5 that is sure worth it,
          course 5 is really 12 with the shipping.which is still a good find

did find one other little thing there this time. the oval/circle drawing jig is only $7.
          though there are plans for making a larger/stronger one , which would let you use it with a router,so i dont really need this little one.
          namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com

Comment

• Spuds
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2007

That clearance section is pretty weak, I don't find stuff on it that gets me to excited. Actually this site has a better interface to finding deals on woodcraft and others. Other than here its one of my other stopping points when I'm looking for a bargain.
            Search for Woodworking Bargains
            More Woodworking Bargains

Comment

• radhak
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Miramar, FL
              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Mathew, I corrected your link : http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/l...iteovaljig.pdf
              Neat idea - haveta try and build that jig. But I guess it won't work for small circles.

Spuds, that's a great site - thanks for sharing. I'd be making that my primary site too.
              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
              - Aristotle

Comment

• skamath
                Established Member
                • Sep 2006
                • san diego, ca
                • BT3100, 22124

woodcraft has free ground shipping right now. so the leigh bit set can be had really cheap. $5.29

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=21107

Comment

• poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by skamath
                  woodcraft has free ground shipping right now. so the leigh bit set can be had really cheap. $5.29

As I have a super jig I just picked up a set for spares. with no shipping its a no brainer. I also picked up a tenon saw and some extra brad point bits from their clearance section for another $13.98

Code Qty Description Price
                  148342 1 Leigh 3-Piece Jig Router Bit Set, 1/4" Shank $5.29

148470 1 10" Hardpoint Tenon Saw $4.99

148116 1 Deep See Brad Point Bit Set; 1/8", 5/32", 3/16", 1/4", 9/32", 5/16", 11/32", 3/8" $8.99

Item Total: $19.27
                  Order Total: $19.27
                  Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                  techzibits.com

Comment

• skamath
                    Established Member
                    • Sep 2006
                    • san diego, ca
                    • BT3100, 22124

i ordered the Tenon Saw as well, thanks for mentioning the item.
                    it is made in england, can't be that bad.

Comment

• thrytis
                      • May 2004
                      • Concord, NC, USA.
                      • Delta Unisaw

Their shop stool isn't too bad at $35.99 for a rolling pneumatic tool. Just one warning though, the lowest level is fairly high, and get out a step ladder to dismount at the highest level.

Some of the architectural molding bits (starting at $15) are pretty cheap if you need molding bits.
                      Eric

Comment

• MikeMcM1956
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Nov 2008
                        • Sugar Land, TX
                        • BT3100 & 1950 Delta Unisaw

Will these work with any other jig than the Leigh branded jig?

Mike

Comment

• LarryG
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2004
                          • Off The Back
                          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by MikeMcM1956
                          Will these work with any other jig than the Leigh branded jig?
                          Possibly. Most, if not all, DT jigs are setup for a certain combination of bit and bushing sizes. You'd have to research what any given jig uses.

But I'd recommend buying a set anyway. A 5/16" straight bit, and two dovetail bits that can be used for sliding dovetails if nothing else ... for a little over five bucks? That's a steal.
                          Larry

Comment

• poolhound
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2006
                            • Phoenix, AZ
                            • BT3100

i ordered the Tenon Saw as well, thanks for mentioning the item.
                            it is made in england, can't be that bad.
                            It has a plastic handle but for $5 how can you go wrong. I have a very old one that came from my grandfather (also English) and keep thinking about having it sharpened but that would cost me more than $5 anyway!
                            Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                            techzibits.com

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2007
                              • Tacoma, WA
                              • BT3000

Oh boy, today I'm driving past a Woodcraft store, wonder what I'll find on sale that I need or can at least justify to myself? It's 5 hours away and I don't make it there that often. Tomorrow I go by the Seattle Rockler store, hope they still have some of the F clamps on sale. Then it's an IKEA store where I hope LOML dosn't buy anything made of particle board.

Bill, on the Sunny Oregon Coast

edit: SWMBO decided that it's such a nice day today, the sun actually is shinning, that we leave tomorrow. That gives me another day to add to the list. bill
                              Last edited by Mr__Bill; 03-18-2009, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Working...