• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

$19 raised panel bit set at Harbour Freight

I don't know if it's everywhere but the HF in the Columbia, SC area is selling a large cove bit and a matching set of cope/stick bits for $19 (I hope my memory is working and it's not $29 - even that would be cheap). I have the same bits in a more trustworthy brand or I would have taken a chance and tried them. They had 1/2 inch shanks and looked good. The carbide might be less than is on "better" bits but for this price it seems like worth a chance.

Jim
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I hope that we hear some posts of those who have used these. I became wary of their cutting tools after buying a set of Forstners and finding that they had *no* sharpness whatsoever. And I mean none. If the store wasn't an hour away I would have returned them.

Later,
    Chiz
    Blessings,
    Chiz

Comment

• agent511
      Established Member
      • Jun 2005
      • Philadelphia
      • TS3650

Glad to hear I was not the only one that bought Forstner bits (Nitride coated to boot) and found that you could use them for a massage. May also be good for stirring paint. Not for cutting wood.
      darksider

Comment

• venkatbo
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006
        • Cupertino, CA, USA.

imho, this bit set (for $25 more) may be a better deal:

/venkat

Comment

• Stormbringer
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Floral Park, NY
          • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by venkatbo
          imho, this bit set (for $25 more) may be a better deal:

/venkat
          YES! Great deal for $44. Amazon was selling them for $149 until last week. I have a set and so far they're great.

See larger image Share your own customer images

Makita 733342-A 3 Piece Carbide-Tipped Door Assembly Router Bit Set
          Other products by Makita
          (1 customer review)

Was:$149.99
          Now:$99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Very well made, have to try to burn wood., February 4, 2006

I ran some pine and some red oak through the bits just to see how they cut with different wood. The edge was as smooth as a babies bottom and feed rates were reasonable. Even when I slowed to a painful crawl, I had no problem with wood burning. They were a great deal (they came with a 3 1/4 hp router). Very happy with them

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • York, PA, USA.

The Makita set performs as well as my $200 Freud set. The Freud set came with DVD and great instructions, which helped immensly, but as far as the bits themself the Makitas are great. I have used them for 8 doors but they have been very large doors and the bits have remained consistent throughout. I highly recommend them.

Comment

• bmyers
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2003
              • Fishkill, NY
              • bt 3100

I tried the HF cheapies and the are CHEAP. It made my router table sound very scary to me. If you get them, run them in your router at the recommended speed and make sure it's sounds ok, don't let them sit on the shelf a while before you try that. You'll likely return them as I did.
              With these kinds of router bits (big scary ones) quality is worth paying for.

That's my $0.02 with your cash!

Bill
              "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• just4funsies
                • Dec 2005
                • Florida.
                • BT3000

Since 90% of the quality (and the safety) comes from the bits, I would not recommend cutting corners (literally) with HF bits. Stick with quality and work with confidence.
                ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• John Hunter
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                  • BT3000 & BT3100

I picked up a set of HF bits, and just made a bunch if raised panels with them. They offer several different sets, I paid $29 for the set I bought on sale, regular price is $59 and have been very happy with them. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2775
                  John Hunter

Comment

• coach
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2005
                    • Forney, TX.
                    • Powermatic 66

Originally posted by John Hunter
                    I picked up a set of HF bits, and just made a bunch if raised panels with them. They offer several different sets, I paid $29 for the set I bought on sale, regular price is $59 and have been very happy with them. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2775

I've been using that set for the last couple of months. I bought them as a throw-away set to make one set of doors for a bathroom cabinet. I've made ten more door since, and the cut quality has been consistantly good. They appear to have plenty of carbide on the cutters, and the bearings are tight and smooth. I would not, however, consider the yellow set. Although it looks similar, I found a set out of the package when I bought my blue ones. The carbide was thin, and the overall quality of the bit was very low.
                    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

• jnesmith
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

I have purchased dozens of items from HF, but would never consider a cutter of any kind. Well, maybe a reciprocating saw blade for a 1 time job.
                      John

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'm having a hard time trusting anything that turns at more than 1000 rpm from HF since i bought that countersink bit set that all of them were so far off concentrically - but i have used their forstner sets with good luck.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...