Its so darn hot here in Houston, every day been in the high 90s with feels like temps hitting 100-112.
Shops not air conditioned so I sneak out at night to do any small repairs. Don't have any DIY projects scheduled.
Going to pay someone to pressure wash the driveway next week, $170 for the straight driveway and the circular drive together... all the other quotes came in over $400. I hope I didn't make a mistake.
Tree trimming guys coming next week also $2100; the other bid was $2850. I have five 34 year old live oaks. I saved $3000 on my annual home/auto/liability insurance costs with all new insurance companies but then the homeowners policy holder says if I don't trim the overhanging branches they'll cancel my insurance. 40% of the cost is thinning out the small feeders so the lawn gets some sun, but still, $2000 to save $3000? Isn't there some risk in cutting off very large branches over a house? the tree guy says he'll tie off the big limbs and take them down in pieces so they they don't come crashing thru the roof. Crossing fingers.
Also going to have my 34 year old windows replaced, aluminum frame windows that leak a little, sweat quite a bit and probably lose A/C. So getting vinyl frames with double panes. Making the big window in the breakfast room that looks over the backyard into one giant picture window, having the little grids removed from all the windows. Big bucks.
Well, except for this window above the front door. One major firm quoted me $38,000 for it. THe rep said, oh, that's a BMW, implying I'd be better off buying a luxury sports car.
Shops not air conditioned so I sneak out at night to do any small repairs. Don't have any DIY projects scheduled.
Going to pay someone to pressure wash the driveway next week, $170 for the straight driveway and the circular drive together... all the other quotes came in over $400. I hope I didn't make a mistake.
Tree trimming guys coming next week also $2100; the other bid was $2850. I have five 34 year old live oaks. I saved $3000 on my annual home/auto/liability insurance costs with all new insurance companies but then the homeowners policy holder says if I don't trim the overhanging branches they'll cancel my insurance. 40% of the cost is thinning out the small feeders so the lawn gets some sun, but still, $2000 to save $3000? Isn't there some risk in cutting off very large branches over a house? the tree guy says he'll tie off the big limbs and take them down in pieces so they they don't come crashing thru the roof. Crossing fingers.
Also going to have my 34 year old windows replaced, aluminum frame windows that leak a little, sweat quite a bit and probably lose A/C. So getting vinyl frames with double panes. Making the big window in the breakfast room that looks over the backyard into one giant picture window, having the little grids removed from all the windows. Big bucks.
Well, except for this window above the front door. One major firm quoted me $38,000 for it. THe rep said, oh, that's a BMW, implying I'd be better off buying a luxury sports car.

LCHIEN
Loring in Katy, TX USA
Comment