This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedpedal
    commented on 's reply
    That’s awesome! I learned from my dad that if it can be fixed,don’t throw it out.

• cwsmith
    replied
    When I was still a somewhat little kid, my parents bought a house out in the country. I started 5h grade in Windsor Central and the new house was in West Windsor. The local farmer built houses with the help of some of his farm hands and my Dad bought our new home when it was only partially finished.

So I helped my Dad (as much as a ten-year old can) finish the job. Painting, trim, and fixtures mostly and yes some drywall, plaster. My Dad petty much always worked at least two jobs and money came hard, so no luxuries and pretty much we didn't buy anything that he couldn't do or make himself, he was really skilled at almost any challenge. For the kitchen, he built the cabinets and counter himself, buying the necessary hardware like hinges and pulls, but using purchased plywood for the cabinet's and Formica laminate for the counter tops. The doors, drawers, and trim work in the kitchen were all "knotty pine" and that wood came from pallets which he got free from a few souces, mostly Railway Express.

So there I was at ten years old, learning how to sand. All my Dad had was a little vibrating finish sander. I don't recall "orbital" ever being mentioned and I know I only used it for the final finishing, I do know that it certainly didn't take off much. My Dad would use a handplane for a few passes and then it was up to me to smooth down everything else with a block of wood on which I wrapped various grades of sandpaper. The job took weeks, that seemed more like years to me at the time. Honestly I don't remember exactly how long it took me, but at that age it seemed forever. I think I earned my first set of callouses doing that.

But the point is the wood was free and from one source or another, pallet wood was plentiful back in the mid-50's. The kitchen came out really nice and with black, country-like hardware it was something to be proud of. That kitchen was still in great condition when my parents passed away and I don't recall my Dad or Mom ever having any complaints with it.

CWS
    Last edited by cwsmith; 01-26-2023, 08:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• leehljp
    replied
    A little over a year ago, my then 15 year old grandson borrowed his dads pickup and went around their small town asking for used pallets. He got about 20. Tore them apart and then with what was their small laundry room (They built a larger one) he made into his young man-cave-hunting den. The walls looked exactly like the wood in this HD picture below. He did all the work himself. He mounted a few squirrels, several ducks and some deer horns. Looks very nice!
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Weaber-1...7862/207078140

Leave a comment:

• Dedpedal
    replied
    I’m starting to rethink my recent purchase of a decaffeinated coffee table.

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    replied
    Looks pretty dodgy. S0S wood*, Weathered, warped, checked, split, twisted, dirty and rusty nail holes. How much are they paying us to haul it away?

Are those the pallets they get the mulch, lawn soil and fertilizers on?

* - Surfaced zero sides

Holy crap! 9 boards for $49.21
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-26-2023, 12:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    That's just like putting tap water into bottles and selling it for more than gasoline ... nevermind.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    started a topic Pallet wood?

Pallet wood?

Home Depot is selling reclaimed pallet wood now...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230126_091310.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	853730
Working...