This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCHIEN
    replied
    Some people turn the SMT around 180 degrees with the protrusion out the back when not using the SMT, in order to prevent the problem you are having with bashing your hips or other body parts. This assumes you have room behind the saw for this. It will fit on the rails reversed.

Another option is to take the SMT off and store it somewhere, and buy a cheaper and simpler spare Auxiliary/router table section and mount it in place of the SMT when you are not using the SMT but need to support work to the left of the blade. They seem to go for about $30 to 70 bucks here an on eBay. Grumpydad here sells some.

A yet cheaper alternative is to simply made a wooden equivalent of the Auxiliary table that mounts to the rails to match the height of the main table for support. You may or may not need to be able to clamp it to the rails to lock it in place. I think probably not. If you look in the archives here you can see people who have made wide table extensions when using extended rail extrusions to support cutting large sheets. You need a wide table extension that is short (not so wide). This is the wide table extension made by Rod Kirby, details at this link. https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...xtension-table
    :Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	287.2 KB ID:	853422

The thing about the BT3 rail system is that its very adaptable to all kinds of DIY accessories with T-slots top and back and bottom
    You can even let gravity hold it in place for this purpose. You need to think about how to match the height and make it adjustable if you can't match it exactly.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	83.5 KB ID:	853423​​

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-02-2023, 11:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    I think the ideal solution would be to find another auxillary table for it, but in the end, it's your saw so do with it what you will.

Have you considered making an extension table for it that can be removed if necessary? The plan at the link below could be easily tweaked to make it removable without tools or if you really don't intend to use the slider much at all, make it semi-permanent.

Leave a comment:

• Dedpedal
    started a topic Stop me from sacrilege!

Stop me from sacrilege!

Ok. Here’s the issue. I am in a small 10x10 ish shop and have to move my saw around a lot. I’m finding that I’m bashing my fingers often because the rail for the smt hits on benches and such. I’m contemplating cutting the rail on an extra smt that I have so I can retain the table space and get rid of that extra 6 inches of awkward aluminum hanging off the front.
    I seldom use the slider so I’ll keep the one I’ve tuned up just in case. I’d really like to find another router top for it and not cut it up a good slider. Click image for larger version

Name:	27D52561-D14B-4677-B238-E399762457F2.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	853418
Working...