• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Scam Alerts

Seem to be getting more and more of these. I was quite excited to find I won a portable Craftsman Generator from Ace Hardware. Because I am a rewards member.

At least that's what they want. I always look at the return e-mail address and I know this one did not come from corporate Ace Hardware
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	141
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	853362
    The domain name is particularly odd.
    Not what a US corporation would be using.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	115
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	853363
    Watch out! Be careful out there. Its a wild world and someone wants your money.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

For the last few months I've received on average 4-5 of these a day. I've gotten them from "fake" Costco, Walmart, Walgreens, Ace, Lowes and Home Depot to name a few. I've "won" TV's, iPads, and numerous types of tools. Lucky me huh.

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

If even 10% of these were real, I wouldn't have the space to store all my winnings. I suppose I could have bought a bigger place with all my money laundering fees from Nigerian Princes and British Barristers over the years.
      Chr's

Comment

• Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Yeah, our email gets these, but they have decreased since I started blocking the domain names on the server that hosts our email. The web based client allows you to block domains by using "*.domain" wild card in the blocked list. It doesn't get them all and of course new ones pop up, but it has reduced the number.
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

My mail app lets me click on the "showing" email address and see the real email addy behind it. And I have noticed an oddity - from which my illogical deduction says: some scam people sign up and log into a web organization that is reputable, and then use their new signup to send out spam/scam with a legitimate "@addy.com" ending, and then use spoofing to cover it. That bugs me. I have finally convinced LOML that most email appearances aren't what they seem to be.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...