• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

How do you museum?

Can you tell I’m on vacation? When you go to a museum and have limited time, do you run through it so you see everything at do you read all the plaques and only see some of the content?

Chr's
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

I don't think I've been to a museum where I was interested in EVERY exhibit. I'll breeze through the ones that don't pique my interest but will read the plaques of the ones I like. With little time, I will probably walk the whole museum, and only explore the galleries that catch my eye.
    ​​​​​​
    Where are you visiting?

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
      I don't think I've been to a museum where I was interested in EVERY exhibit. I'll breeze through the ones that don't pique my interest but will read the plaques of the ones I like. With little time, I will probably walk the whole museum, and only explore the galleries that catch my eye.
      ​​​​​​
      Where are you visiting?
      That is me too - usually. But, Being the "great" husband that I am, I do have to linger more than I want to when LOML wants to read every word on every sign and plaque besides observing the display!
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
        atgcpaul commented
        Editing a comment
        It's actually the opposite for us. I will linger while my wife likes to zip through. However, she plans all of our vacations and she likes to keep things on schedule. I rarely ever know the schedule except when I'm supposed to get us from point A to B.
    • LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

It varies.
      If you are there to see one specific exhibit of many then you have to go to the one you came for. This also applies to massive museums, like the Smithsonian you can't see in a day.
      OTOH there are many one-room museums I have been to you can see in 30 minutes.

But in medium sized museums of which everything is of your interest but have limited time, you have to compromise on detail vs quantity. Many times the solution is to come back another day for that gem of a museum you found at 4 PM. Sometimes that means another trip another day, like when you are on a cruise and it sails that evening.

I always say, you don't have to see everything, sometimes a destination is worth another trip in the future... add it to the list of places you want to return to,
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Dedpedal
        Established Member
        • Feb 2020
        • Palm Coast Florida
        • One BT3000 in use and one for parts. Plus a BT3100

I’ll look at the exhibit as I’m walking and stop if my interest is piqued.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

There's so much hidden museums that does not peak my interest but if a particular piece sparks interest I will stop and Kind of inspected read the little card thanks hope to get some information on it

Depending on the museum and the people I am with it will Make a bunch of difference on how much time I spend at each piece.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...