• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

car dilemma

I have a 2011 Subaru Outback, AWD, 2.5L CVT auto transmission. 74,400 original one owner miles.
    We don't drive a lot, having had a company pool car when I worked and being retired now, MY other car is a 2012 Infiniti G37 with even fewer miles. Fun to drive but my wife prefers riding in the Outback and it carries stuff easier and it cheaper per mile.

So the transmission has been acting a little funny the torque converter/overdrive control has been shuddering when coming off a run to a stop. Easy driving it been OK.
    Just threw a bunch of transmission CVT torque convert codes; this has been a weak point of this model apparently, although only 74K miles? Out of warranty apaprently they quietly extended to 10 years 100K miles but didn't make it public.

So the first shop quoted $7700 for new transmission. The KBB on the car is $7800 trade in (presumably running).
    I have it in for another opinion. They may say new transmission, too.
    But if that's case, basically the car is worthless.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-08-2022, 08:38 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Worthless? Perhaps. BUT... price up new cars and see if you think it is worthless. I am pumping what will end up being a grand total of about $15K into a 2004 F150 4x4. Now mind you if you look up the KBB on my truck, $10K, but look around and try to find a 2004 F150 XLT Supercab 4x4 in any sort of running condition for under $15K... For starters, Supercabs are super hard to find, it is all SuperCrew cab which leaves me with the 5.5 foot bed and that won't work, plus they all have over 200K miles on them, no lift, no winch, no upgraded tires, no camper shell, no... you get the idea.

KBB has NOT kept up with what the auto market is doing lately. There is a shortage of cars and trucks, prices are through the roof, and honestly the newer cars are kind of junk...

Having said that, is there any way you can convert that car from a CVT to a regular automatic? CVTs are known troublemakers...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Ouch. AS I was told concerning my Camry hybrid, but did not want to do it - offer it for sale on FB and see what kind of offers I could get. With one bad component, an otherwise good running car has value for the good components - similar to parting out a BT3x000.

My Camry had a great running engine, not using oil, plenty of power, aluminum wheels, great compressor and numerous operating parts including air bags and of course the value of the catalytic converter itself.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
        capncarl commented
        Editing a comment
        Who would have ever thought we would be adding the value of an old catalytic converter to the total value of an old car!

From what I can find out about CCV transmissions, they are unique to an engine, so it doesn’t seem like a part that can be swapped out by a different type drive.
    • Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I had a '92 Civic that began harsh shifting @ 60K miles. Dealer quoted $4K for a new transmission. Took it to an independent mechanic who told me to drain/refill the transmission twice with Honda ATF. Problem disappeared. Second opinion is a good idea.
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• d_meister
        Established Member
        • Feb 2009
        • La Conner, WA.
        • BT3000

Many car makers specified "lifetime" fluids during that time. My car uses the Aisen Warner 80TFSC transmission that is on many cars. No dipstick, no fluid change recommended. It turns out that many on the forums have fixed trans issues by simply changing the trans fluid with the correct trans fluid. Those using universal trans fluids create different problems than they had. Finding the correct fluid affordably is another matter. I found the best price for the correct fluid for my Volvo at a Toyota dealer by calling all 4 Toyota dealers in the area. Huge price differences.

Comment

• Jim Frye
          Jim Frye commented
          Editing a comment
          Same with my Civic. Local tire shop did a fluid change and didn't use Honda ATF, bragged they used Mobil1 full synthetic ATF. 30K miles later, the shifting issue showed up The independent mechanic I took it to said the transmission seals required Honda ATF. He saved me nearly $4K
      • nicer20
        Established Member
        • Sep 2007
        • Dublin, CA
        • BT3100

@LCHIEN: Sorry to hear the troubles with your car. Just wanted to share a couple of thoughts -

a. The used car market has been hot given the supply chain issues and KBB might not have caught up with this trend yet. I am not at all suggesting passing off this car to some unsuspecting user. But it may not be as worthless as it appears, even after knowing the transmission needs work. That might also mean, you may get a decent trade-in value if you decide to replace.

b. I did not have a problem (touch wood) with my Hyundai but I have been using all synthetic Castrol Multi-import Transmission Fluid and it is a great product. Just a pointer in case you decide to replace fluid. Double check your car compatibility though.
        AUTO TRANSMISSION FLUIDS | WELCOME | CASTROL USA

Take care - hope this helps.
        Last edited by nicer20; 09-09-2022, 12:48 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Holy moly, there is a $10K add'l markup over MSRP plus another $1.5K of dealer tackons on top of new cars these days. I haven't bought a new car since 2010 and this is sticker shock!
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Jim Frye
            Jim Frye commented
            Editing a comment
            My daughter is trying to find a first car for her daughter and used compact SUVs are ridiculously priced. A decent one with 100K on the meter can't be touched for $16K. My daughter's first car was a used '88 Mazda sedan with 60K on the clock and it was $2,500.

• twistsol
            twistsol commented
            Editing a comment
            It is just all around a bad time to buy a car. There are so many production issues with auto makers leftover from COVID that you can't get a new car to save your life. Consequently used car prices have skyrocketed. Had I waited just a few months to sell my old truck I could have gotten more than twice as much for it and close to what I paid for it new.

• capncarl
            capncarl commented
            Editing a comment
            High auto price? We just visited Bermuda on our 50th anniversary. Their cars have a 100% duty added on, plus the shipping cost is atrocious, and the importer fee is nice percentage! Ouch. Gasoline was better than $10./gallon.
        • LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

dealer offered me $12K as is so I traded in on a '21 SUV with low miles.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...