• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

what to do with air tank

a couple of months ago my compressor motor burned up resulting in me getting a new compressor.
    I pulled off the motor and compressor part and tossed it, but I am left with a 6 gallon pancake tank that sat on the bottom. It apparently is OK, not rusted through. It has three penetrations one drain on the bottom, one inlet with a check valve and one 1/4" NPT. Leaving the check valve open, it won't leak air; I can put air in the 1/4" NPT and it would hold;
    I could use it for a portable air tank and a Schrader line end chuck, or for an additional accumulator for my air system. But I already have an auxiliary tank.
    Four nice rubber feet.

Anyone need a intact 6 gallon air tank? Here in West Houston for the asking. Otherwise I guess I'll put it in the recycle bin.
    Paint's in pretty good shape, no major rust spots on the exterior. I think the tank pressure was held 150 PSI for this model.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P7291101.jpg Views:	0 Size:	153.1 KB ID:	851870
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-30-2022, 03:21 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

How old is it? Here in OH, pressure tanks are supposed to be tested every five years. Some propane dealers stick by it and some don't if the tank is in good shape. Don't know what liability one would have if an old tank was sold to someone. I had an old 20 pound propane tank that I used as a receiver for an airbrush compressor setup I cobbled together many years ago. When I donated the setup to a local high school, I disconnected the tank and took it to a recycling scrap dealer for disposal. Got $0.65 per pound for it.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

IF you lived in a rural setting, where it is nice to be able to do what you want most of the time . . . I wonder . . . What would happen if you filled it up with firecrackers putting them in one at a time until it was fairly full, then with an extra long fuse, see what happens when you light it!
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Some people never grow up. Lets do it!
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

My neighbor makes Halloween jack-o-lanterns out of used Freon tanks. He cuts the face with a disk grinder and puts various kinds of lights inside. Creative painting and they are a hit with the kids.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

A little harder to carve than a pumpkin.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Put it on the curb for pickup this morning.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
                commented
                Editing a comment
                Well there you go. Problem solved.

• LCHIEN
                LCHIEN commented
                Editing a comment
                Wife kept saying what are you going to do with that and it was sitting on the patio because I have no place to put it.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-09-2022, 12:34 AM.
            Working...