• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Retrofit wired home alarm system?

Our house has a fully functional wired ADT alarm system. We're just not paying for any monitoring service. The system is basic in that when I'm not home, I can't tell if the doors are open/closed.

For peace of mind now that the kids will be getting on/off the bus themselves in the morning/afternoon while we're at work, I want to reactivate the system but not go through ADT.

I see Ring has a retrofit kit (and you can pay a monthly fee for monitoring), there is a kit from konnected.io, and I've seen some integrations using Z-wave sensors. Any of you have experience doing this retrofit? Is the retrofit cost effective versus just starting from scratch with a new Ring or SimpliSafe system? I might later add a camera system for the exterior of the house so a one-system-to-rule-them-all would be nice so it's not this app for this thing and that app for that thing. I think Ring has their own, but I really don't need the monitoring service or want to pay a fee to stream from my own cameras when I can access them directly.

Your advice is welcomed.

Thanks
    Paul
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Not hard wired, but I have a Hubitat Elevation (not cloud dependent) system that is a mix of Zigbee, and Zwave sensors and devices. Cams do not integrate into it though. Monitoring is through a service called Noonlight. I went this way when Samsung / ADT broke their business deal and broke the functioning of my Smartthings ADT panel and sensors, and I was using ADT for monitoring.

Device compatibility with Hubitat is among the best I have seen out there and I do have a LOT of automations built in as well. Temperature controlled ceiling fan controls and the like...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by dbhost
      Not hard wired, but I have a Hubitat Elevation (not cloud dependent) system that is a mix of Zigbee, and Zwave sensors and devices. Cams do not integrate into it though. Monitoring is through a service called Noonlight. I went this way when Samsung / ADT broke their business deal and broke the functioning of my Smartthings ADT panel and sensors, and I was using ADT for monitoring.

Device compatibility with Hubitat is among the best I have seen out there and I do have a LOT of automations built in as well. Temperature controlled ceiling fan controls and the like...
      Thank you. I'll check these out.

Did you completely replace all your ADT sensors (wired?) with Zigbee/Zwaves? I'm at the very beginning of this journey so a total newb. I saw one YouTube video where the presenter disconnected a sensor cable from the ADT panel and connected it to an individual Z-wave sensor (about the size of glue stick) that was wireless and contained what looked like a AA battery. I don't like the idea of replacing batteries, though. Are all ZWave sensors setup like that?

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
        commented
        Editing a comment
        My ADT sensors were the ADT / Smartthings proprietary ones that were wireless. i used Iris V2 Zigbee wireless sensors all around for open / close as well as temp at the sensor, and Iris V3 motion sensors where I wanted to trigger lights by motion.
    • Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

We've had a SimpliSafe (v1.0) for over five years now with no issues whatsoever. We do have their monitoring service and the automated weekly test is comforting too. They recently automatically updated the system so it didn't use the now outdated 3G service with a new sim card in the base station. The current version of SS hardware/software is a lot more functional.
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

Working...