It's Coming And I'm Not Looking Forward To It...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TomTak
    commented on 's reply
    I took your leaf blower comment seriously... i have a garage shop and after a project I open the doors, lock down all the loose tools and parephenalia and let loose to blow everything not nailed down out the driveway into the environment (aka: neighbor's yard). It all settles down quickly and morphs into yard fill and mulch

• LCHIEN
    commented on 's reply
    dbhost I have three shop vacs in my shop. One by the bandsaw and DP, I swap the hose to collect dust from them. And one by the miter saw and the jointer. Swap hoses when I need one or the other. And a third near the router table and table saw for general clean up and the router fence.
    Not counting the DC for the table saw.

• dbhost
    replied
    Order for the new vac is in... They have a Memorial Day sale for $60.00 off... Should have gotten a fresh HEPA filter...

Leave a comment:

• capncarl
    commented on 's reply
    Why would you kid about the leaf blower? In these applications it is the best tool for the job! Actually 2 would be better, 1 in each hand!

• dbhost
    commented on 's reply
    The leaf blower was a bit of a jest. However I am finding even with the Thien the Rigid shop vac gets clogged WAY too fast especially when doing Drywall work. And my model won't support the bags. Planning on grabbing a new 16 gallon Rigid NXT 5HP that uses the bags optionally. Need to find a home for my 12 gallon unit...
    Last edited by dbhost; 05-20-2022, 10:23 PM.

• Jim Frye
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, mask up! I wore a dampened one while doing my shop. It was coated with a fine layer of dust when I finished. A cap might be in order also. My hair was dusty after each episode.

• LCHIEN
    commented on 's reply
    Put on a mask! before leaf blower!

• dbhost
    replied
    I am thinking it is time myself to tape down everything, open the overhead doors and take the leaf blower to the shop....

Leave a comment:

• Jim Frye
    replied
    The high colonic of the shop is complete and wow was there a ton of stuff in unseen places. The worst was the 13" planer. Every time I aimed the blow nozzle in it, I was showered with chips even though it's always connected to the shop vac when in use. The ambient air filter was covered in dust. The shop vac had a couple of inches of chips and dust in the tub and the Cleanstream filter was packed. The floor is also clean now. Now on to the next piece and turning the shop into a cluttered mess again.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3A78B6D6-E7DE-4F42-B674-A800FE3EE123.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	850822

Name:	858B7BDC-87DB-4F79-B737-33B46E9BF545.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	850823

Name:	D5F76017-F48D-4D43-9E82-2AF7FCC36B83.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	850824

Name:	0E494B3E-2B14-483D-93FE-30702F30BEBF.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	850825

Name:	260E9CF2-0E08-4328-808D-E2B5ECDDB567.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	850826

Name:	2DCD0A1F-6224-48CB-8153-EE5C0109C949.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	850827

Name:	9FC8D6BD-485E-454F-9AE6-145C341888C0.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	850828

Name:	90EB1841-253C-48F9-83DF-BEF0FCF4762D.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	850829

Leave a comment:

• Jim Frye
    commented on 's reply
    Actually, it's been six years for this goround and it shows. I've not really cleaned this shop since I built it right after the house was built.

• LCHIEN
    commented on 's reply
    What, time for your colonoscopy? That reminds me, I'm almost due for one later this year. I think they say after 75 you don't really need them anymore.

• LCHIEN
    replied
    I like it when, woodworkers like Jim, clean their shops once a year, whether it needs it or not!

Leave a comment:

• Jim Frye
    replied
    Today, I vacuumed the shop floor and fired up the air compressor. I had the shop exhaust fan on, the ambient air filter on high, and the shop vac on. The ambient air filter had a new filter element installed and the shop vac was emptied with a fresh CleanStream filter mounted. After blowing off everything, including the joist spaces, the floor was covered in dust and chips. I swept the floor again with the shop vac and left the exhaust fan and ambient air filter running. I went outside and the vent from the exhaust fan had covered the damp mulch under it with a thin layer of dust. Going to repeat the process again just to make sure I get any stirred up residue from today. Pictures when done.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Frye
    replied
    Yesterday, I spent an hour and a half clearing the workbench. As the biggest horizontal space in the shop (other than the floor), it collects everything during a project. Today, another hour and a half to sweep off the large tools and the floor. One item worth mentioning is the door mat in the shop. Many years ago we bought three door mats from Stanley Steamer. They are a non-woven mat made of rubber/vinyl. It is pretty amazing how well they work. They appear to generate some static electricity when walked on and dust clings to them and then falls through to the surface underneath. I have one inside the shop door and one outside. There is another mat at the base of the stairs going upstairs. The pics show the area just inside the shop door. Click image for larger version

Name:	88BC0B4A-5746-4C1E-B567-4D2823ECE755.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	850774

Name:	8E424C54-FE66-4416-A142-D2279EF5627C.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	850775

Leave a comment:

• capncarl
    commented on 's reply
    Even the harmless snakes will make you hurt yourself! In my last house I had metal nut and bolt bins/ slide in out drawers. I pulled a face height drawer out one day and a house wren had made a nest in that drawer and saw sitting on eggs, she flew up in my face and scared me within a fraction of death. I couldn’t deal with snakes in my shop…… well, I could but be hard to fix some of the holes in the walls and cabinets. My hunting buddy keeps a ratter, ( a yard cat) that he feeds just enough to keep it from leaving. It takes care of all of the snakes, lizards and birds in his barn.
Working...