• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Can't read MY fingerprints!

This laptop and my previous one had fingerprint recognition, and so did my current and previous phone. Two weeks ago, working with CA (super glue) and today with poly glue, I got it on my thumb and index fingers. Tonight, I needed to do a few security things and when it asked for fingerprint input, my computer wouldn't accept it. I had to look up my list of long passwords.

My daughter said, "Well that is a good way to keep from leaving finger prints besides wearing gloves."
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

When I was working for IBM, we had Thinkpad laptops with fingerprint recognition and lots of folks had issues with the function. Paint, ink, glue, etc. were all problematic. I just bypassed it and logged in with a password all the time. Apple's face recognition isn't much better.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I am actually shocked the fingerprint recognition on my Galaxy Note works as well as it does. My laptop on the other hand, not so much. I could have been playing bass using Rocksmith on that same machine, walk away to get a drink, come back to unlock it as i have screen lock setup, and I MUST use my password because my index finger and thumbprint on my plucking hand are no longer recognizeable...

My be something to do with my playing style too... who knows...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I will say that the finger recognition on my computers and on my previous phone worked extremely well. That is why I was aggravated at it not working with my the glue on my fingers. I have come to depend upon it. Quick, and keeps people out. No password list to have to keep on "ready".
        Hank Lee

Comment

• duramen
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2022

There are legal ramifications to using fingerprint or face recognition to unlock your device. They are both examples of biometrics. The government may legally compel you to unlock a device with your finger or face, and you must cooperate. The government can ask you to provide a password or PIN (something you know), but you may refuse if the 5th Amendment applies.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            LCHIEN commented
            Editing a comment
            Carry a tube of superglue and glue your fingerprint when THE MAN asks you swipe your reader and open your computer.
        • LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Slicing them (your finger prints) off on the table saw will give you the same problem. Only it won't grow back.

In the crime novels the really bad-ass bad guys burn their prints off with acid to prevent leaving evidence behind or to avoid being tied to a crime where fingerprints have been left.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-15-2022, 03:04 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Sanding off fingerprints is not permanent, I’m proof. I sand a lot of small items on a spindle sander and belt sander and have probably sanded off enough meat to make 10 new fingers.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

When I was overseas, I had to keep confidential personnel files and I just did not let anyone use my computer or leave it sitting around. I had to keep my computer password protected, particularly when I was at conferences and team meetings.

That said, LOML and I did several months of volunteer work for an organization that had a booth inside the Worlds Fair. Because we were foreigners and could speak the language, we were often the targets of TV and even radio interviews during the 6 month event. One day, we were told that for the next day - to dress very nice and come prepared for the national TV news interview. WE did, but it wasn't the national TV news, it was interviews with some of the highest leadership in the country, with full security detail all around.
              . . . the point behind that was, if we were chosen to be interviewed by people at that level, they "vetted" us well in advance. There wasn't anything secretive that they didn't know before allowing the meeting.

Slicing fingers: A family with another organization that worked with us in the early 2000's came to Japan back in the early 90's well before 9/11. Between 2005 and 2008, they were asked to do some work in another country. Because of the 9/11 security changes, security took its toll on them The whole family was approved for visa to go to the other country - except for the wife. In her early 20's she was in an accident and most of the fingers on both hands were cut and burned badly. Since no clear finger prints were available, she failed the security test on that alone. It took her 6 months before the FBI (US) would give her security clearance that was acceptable for a VISA into the country her family was in.
              Last edited by leehljp; 01-15-2022, 08:23 PM.
              Hank Lee

Comment

Working...