Views:	128
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	846339
    Chr's
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all! Love that Mug, FUNNY!

It did make me think of an incident 40 - 50 years ago when FAA and maybe NASA were studying bird hits on planes. Other countries were studying it too. Some smart engineers came up with a cannon to shoot chickens purchased frozen from a supermarket. I think it was England asked if the chickens were blowing holes into the plane targets in tests like theirs were. The Americans replied "Thaw them out before you shoot them!"
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-25-2021, 10:28 AM. Reason: i fixed your typo
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
      Happy Thanksgiving to you and all! Love that Mug, FUNNY!

It did make me think of an incident 40 - 50 years ago when FAA and maybe NASA were studying bird hits on planes. Other countries were studying it too. Some smart engineers came up with a cannon to shoot chickens purchased frozen from a supermarket. I think it was England asked if the chickens were blowing holes into the plane targets in tests like theirs were. The Americans replied "Thaw them out before you shoot them!"
      Happy Thanksgiving back to you!

Click image for larger version

Name:	73346601.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	846343

I had to laugh about the chicken test. I am not sure you guys know this, but a large part of my career was spent working for a NASA contractor. The frozen chicken test was a part of discussion that they kind of gave all newbies coming in. What I was told is that it was USAF that actually did the chicken test, not NASA. Mind you, I would NOT be shocked if NASA engineers were involved though.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I heard the chicken cannon story originally at Boeing in. 1987 when I worked on a failure simulation system for them as a contractor. The version I was told was that Russians had stolen plans for the chicken cannon in the 70's and were concerned because none of their aircraft could withstand a hit that was a routine test for US military planes.

The chicken cannon is real, the frozen chicken part of the story may be urban legend, but nobody can provide evidence to prove or disprove it as far as I know.

Les Nessman covering WKRP throwing live turkeys from a helicopter is one of my favorite memories of the show ... and Loni Anderson of course.
        Chr's

Comment

Working...