• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Got the six base cabinets assembled for the office and now I need to wait for a nice day to spray them The ten day forecast show snow this week and highs in the low 40's so this might be a while. Since they will be enclosed, no stain on these, just a clear coat over the birch plywood. I might race the weather in the interim to build a collapsable spray booth for the garage.

Also started a folding outfeed for the tablesaw, managed to go for a walk with my wife, spent an hour blowing bubbles and writing with chalk on the sidewalk with the 3 year old next door so his parents could assemble some flat pack furniture, dropped off the builder basic kitchen and dining room lights from our house at the Habitat Re-Store.

The ground is finally thawed enough that I was able to get the Christmas decoration stakes out the ground.
    Chr's

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I need to step back a bit from this. I cleared out the home office on Saturday, and pulled the computer armoire. Moved in and assembled the, been sitting in the spare bedroom still in its boxes from 2012 office depot flat pack L shaped desk and hutch. Substantially larger than the armoire, substantially smaller than the old U shaped desk I chucked out that this was to replace. Plenty of space for my PC, printer, audio mixer, mic stand and boom, books etc... Single filint drawer and 3 various stuff drawers, plus 2 hinged glass panel doors that I am SERIOUSLY considering installing color changing smart LED strips in. Probably underlight the top of the hutch and the desktop as well. I have a, well G&G ish picture frame I did maybe 3 years ago that now needs to move as it is partially hidden by the hutch.

I think I might move the painting to where the semi hollowbody guitar is hanging, and hang the guitar to the right of hte desk for easy access...

Making refried beans in the instant pot for dinner. Going to do beefy tostadas... Wife gets to do the veggies and shells part... I did the beef and beans...

I get volunteered as I did the Taco shop duty in college or so the logic goes...

Oh yeah, back to the home office. I ordered some just right sized finger raceway / cable management to run beind the desk segments to get and keep the cables off the floor.

I am having a problem making my Minicom KVM Extender USB like being connected again. As I recall when I originally set it up 2+ years ago, it was very finicky. I have a, I think TP LInk or something like that as a spare if I have to, but once working the Minicom is kind of bomb proof until I disconnect it and move it around...
      Last edited by dbhost; 04-10-2022, 06:50 PM.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

(Moved from the wrongly posted topic to this one):

Friday and Yesterday, (Saturday), I worked with a volunteer group of 6 who traveled 150 miles to build the "stage" for a rural church that is being re-built with a new building in the three county area in which I coordinate work among the local churches. This group was top notch, at least the main guy and a pastor.The foundation (18' x 20' ) had been built, using all spruce, no pine (Construction guy's specific request). On the last one of the wood foundation pieces, there was a 1/8" raise and warp on one end of a 2x4x18'. The guy in charge would not let the nail gun shooter, using 27 cal shoot the nails into the concrete until it was FLAT on the concrete. He built a contraption to multiply the force of two men to hold the board down on the concrete before the nail was shot. He said, 1/8 inch here will cause a 1/4" out of level down the line.

I never saw so much PRECISION cuts and nailing, warping nullified before moving forward. The pastor volunteer that came with them (and I have known him) told me the construction guy was top notch. I can believe it.

45° angles were made with 22.5 cuts on the end of each board rather than a simple 45°. Precise fitting. I enjoyed that!

This church is being built with all volunteer labor - guys or at least leaders, who are licensed contractors and match or exceed code. The church provides ALL the material or purchase the materials. I told the church before we started that I could get the volunteer labor but they (construction workers) do not settle for 2nd rate or Cheap Charlie material. The inside is ALL 5/8" sheetrock. I have seen many cheaply made buildings with holes in the wall from rambunctious kids. I am having problems with the code guy in one area. We have already installed 10 gauge wire for the AC split unit ductless slow start that the manufacturer's specs says that 10 gauge wire is sufficient for this unit. The code guy wants us to replace the 10 gauge wire with 8 gauge - an $800 cost locally for the wire alone, not counting cutting holes in sheet rock in 3 different places. I am holding tight on the Manufacturer's specs over-riding local code restrictions according to state law.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002

I've spent the last couple of days mixing various stains trying to get the perfect balance of red to brown and darkness that I envisioned for my office cabinets. It turns out that Varathane Cognac straight out the can is exactly what I wanted.

The two on the right are Cognac the only differences is the one on the far right was sanded to 320 and the one second from the right was sanded to 180.

The half dozen that made the final round
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2692.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	849941
          Chr's

Comment

• leehljp
            leehljp commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks very close to black walnut in color but the grain is a bit different.
        • dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I've got some old, 1990s wooden half height filing cabinets that are actual wood and stained in that honey oak stuff. Planning on stripping the hardware, stripping the stain somewhat, hitting it with some sanding sealer and going after it with the Dark walnut stain, Give it some time to cure up and soak in, hit it again until I come up with a nearly dark roast coffee sort of look for the home office. So yeah I get the whole futzing with stain stuff. Particularly in my case where I am looking for pretty dark close but not exactly black...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Drove 200 miles round trip to pick up some Olive limbs from a S. Georgia grove trimming. Trees were planted around 2009, advertised as the first Olive harvest east of the Mississippi since the 1800s. The wood is young and light colored compared to other Olive I’ve worked with.

Comment

• leehljp
              leehljp commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad they put "EAST" of the MS. I made some olive wood pens from my brother-in-law and sister's farm in CA back in 2008. I made one for each of the family members. Their wood was light colored too but did have some figure in it. I remember eating olives from their trees back in the mid-60's when my sister got married.
          • twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002

Started on the spray booth. I managed four of seven or nine wall sections depending on if I go 8x8 or 8 x 12 and the most of the fan box. I still need to add the filter holders and wiring to the fan box. It will be a negative pressure booth so I don’t need to worry about leaks too much. I’m just going to cover the wall frames with poly. The garage door will close on the fan box

. Click image for larger version

Name:	ECAF7540-7591-4B9C-97F6-4B0161DD29A9.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	849946

it was late so I didn’t want to start in any of the complicated angled walls or the wall section with the door.

Name:	FDE4C49F-1A6A-41E8-BF64-007D0FC5085E.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	849947
            Chr's

Comment

• capncarl
              capncarl commented
              Editing a comment
              Is this a one and done project or are you going to store the panels for the next project?

• capncarl
              capncarl commented
              Editing a comment
              What was the thought process for positive vrs negative pressure?

• twistsol
              twistsol commented
              Editing a comment
              I plan on storing the panels for future use on a ceiling hoist in the garage.

The thought process around negative pressure is that the fans will suck air out of the enclosure through the filters. That means any all the air from the booth needs to go through the filters to escape and any leaks will let in unfiltered air. It also means that unless I invest in explosion proof fans, spraying lacquer or anything oil based would be unsafe.

With positive pressure, any leaks in the booth will let overspray out of the booth to places I don't want it to go. When I sprayed my red cabinet doors last fall, there was a fine red powder on everything in the garage which took days to clean up.
          • dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Pretty sure I have mentioned the newly assembled 10 year old desk / hutch in the home office / studio space. I pulled it out a bit, and installed cable management raceway along the back to get the network cables, power cables and excess phone lines off the floor. I am ending up with a sizeable spool of extra cable bundled up behind the PC enclosure, and that does NOT lincludde the cables for the small 12 input mixer (4 XLR 8 1/4 mono). Mic stand is there, condenser mic is there, and I can't for the life of me find an XLR cable that is shorter than 15 feet. I think I need to go to Musiciansfriend and see if I can sourc eup a 4 footer.

Getting ready to pull one of hte short 2 drawer filing cabinets into the shop. Just need to empty it from the music books that were temporarily housed in it. Then the magic beigins. Pull the hardware, quick pass with the citris stripper, scrape down, then damp rag rinse. Sand it down, let it set up, sanding sealer, then dark walnut stain,in multiple applications until like I mentioned, dark roast coffee no cream color...., hit it with a coat of poly, The big trick is the hardware doesn't even come dclose to matching, and I am am nto sure I want it to....for now.

Once that is good and ready, move it in, move the printer on top, move in the printing supplies.
            Last edited by dbhost; 04-13-2022, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
              commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, XLR is the old style 3 pin audio connector used for microphones and mixing consoles. I occasionally want to dom some voice overs for my video work and that is how I get a good qaulity sound into the computer for recording....

• LCHIEN
              LCHIEN commented
              Editing a comment
              XLR is the balanced differential cables for pro audio use

• dbhost

dbhost
              commented
              Editing a comment
              Just FWIW, I did check, Monoprice does NOT have the 6 footers right now, and 3 is just too short. I do however have somewhere, an atriculating boom mic stand that I might have to press into service, it has a cable built in...
          • twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002

Finished the building part of the folding outfeed table for the tablesaw. This was made from all brand new materials, no salvage.

Name:	IMG_2696.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	849985

The mounting block, on the other hand, was made from all scraps ... and it shows. this gives me about 9" of space beyond the table for my miter sled's bar so I don't need to add slots into the table itself. It mounts into the tracks on the back of the fence rail. Both parts will be finished with an epoxy coating so they'll be plenty durable.

Name:	IMG_2697.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	849986

When I looked at brackets for the folding legs, I found a pair of stainless steel telescoping folding legs on Amazon for $30 which was about twice the price of the brackets. The benefit is I don't have to take the time to build legs, the drawback is they won't arrive for three weeks. When I went to post a bargain alert, the price had changed to $40 each so I think I just got incredibly lucky ... assuming they actually ship.
            Chr's

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by twistsol
              Finished the building part of the folding outfeed table for the tablesaw. This was made from all brand new materials, no salvage.

Name:	IMG_2696.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	849985...

As always nice work. I am curious though. you mentioned it with this, so I have to ask. Do you not like to do salvage wood projects? I might have missed them but it just occurred to me seeing your post, all of hte projects of yours I have seen are all new materials, and just wondering if that is a theme or did I miss the salvage / reclaimed stuff.

Just for me, I like doing salvage / reclaimed wood projects. But all new material does take out some squirrely variables for sure...

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Sanded the gloss off of the lower drawer of the filing cabinet face, wiped it down with alcohol wipes, and put down 2 coats of stain, gave it a good rub in. It is darker than my home made Latte but certainly NOT cark roast yet. Gonna let it cure up some, and hit it with 2 to 3 more coats, I know I can get hte color there...

Comment

• twistsol
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002

About half of what I build and nearly everything for the shop is from salvage/scrap but I don't usually call it out. Below is my current salvage stock that will become face frames, doors and drawer fronts for the office cabinet build. It is mostly 7/8" birch pulled out of a remodel, the top shelf is nearly all quarter sawn oak barn find but there's some other stuff in there as well. It is rare to find sheet goods that are good enough that they can be used for projects but bad enough to be discarded. The one exception is here. ShopSmith Storage Cabinet

Name:	IMG_2698.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	849993

When I'm done with the office cabinets, I'll see what I have left and if I can build the buffet for the dining room my wife wants. The plywood for any cabinets not going in the garage or shop is always new. It s hard enough to untwist and flatten new stock vs waste. Until recently the cost / benefit of using salvaged sheet goods wasn't there.

Finally, I do mostly remodeling projects and there really isn't a point in posting remilled baseboards and crown mouldings.
                  Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002

After a year, I finally got the cutting in done on the stairwell to the shop. I hate ladders, and hate ladders on stairwells even more.

I also managed to get a couple coats of epoxy paint on the outfeed table and the extension table for the table saw. I'll let those sit overnight and get them installed on tomorrow, and then back to work on the finishing booth.
                    Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002

Installed the new out feed table on the tablesaw this morning. The epoxy takes 7 days to fully cure, and it was still a bit tacky this morning. Hopefully this will cure enough to use before the end of the week. I'll be working on the finishing booth and wide table today and tomorrow so shouldn't need the tablesaw for a while

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2699.jpg Views:	0 Size:	190.7 KB ID:	850059

Name:	IMG_2700.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	850062

No legs yet so it is being held up by my old out feed stand which I'll be happy to see go away. It worked, but it never seemed to be in the right spot

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2702.jpg Views:	0 Size:	180.8 KB ID:	850060

Next up is removing, trimming to proper size, and trying to flatten the wide table on the table saw. This was a piece of prefinished maple plywood that got a huge scratch across it. I tried to fix the scratch and match the finish and made it much worse. I have enough of the epoxy leftover to paint this the same as the out feed. The epoxy will hide the scratch!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2701.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.1 KB ID:	850061
                      Last edited by twistsol; 04-16-2022, 10:03 AM.
                      Chr's

Comment

• GrumpyDad
                        GrumpyDad commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Can you give more detail on the epoxy finish? Brand, application, durability...
                        And can I come live in your shop?

• twistsol
                        twistsol commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The finish is Rustoleum Hammered Metal Gray. It comes in rattle cans, which I've used once but it doesn't built well. I buy it in quarts. Shelf life is about 5 years and I'm close to that on the can I have left. It is applied with either a roller or a brush, For large flat surfaces like this, I pour it on and roll it out and then use what is on the roller to do the edges. The only issue with it is you need to do both coats within four hours otherwise you are supposed to wait 7 days to add an addtional coat. I did a test on MDF where I did three and four coats an hour apart and after three months neither had cured. It goes on fairly thickly and has a stippled texture to it by design.

Also, cleanup is with Xylol which will eat garage floor coatings in a few seconds. Assume your roller cover and brush are trash when you are done. I've never tried to clean a roller cover and have been unsuccessful cleaning a brush.

I've used it on my metal hardware storage cabinet, my Festool systainer racks and Shopsmith cart, both made of birch plywood, my miter saw fences made of a combination of plywood and MDF. It cleans up with a damp rag and for sliding surfaces, takes paste wax well.

I did have an issue with this application. I let the roller sit between coats, about two hours, and got a lot of roller fuzz in the second coat. Once it fully cures I'll give it a light sanding with a 3m pad to remove those and if it dulls the finish too much I'll add a third coat with a new roller.

As for living in the shop, we do have three spare bedrooms, but if you take that option, you need to deal with all the neighborhood kids that know I work at home and request bike repairs, help with roller blades, toys that don't work need a snack or a bathroom etc.
                        Last edited by twistsol; 04-17-2022, 08:25 AM.
                    • leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

Last week, my 6 year old Keurig started being real slow in making coffee, the stream was about half of what it normally is. We have very soft water here from artesian well water about 2500 feet deep, so minuscule scale at best. I run the descaler for Keurig about twice a year anyway to clean it out. By last weekend, it was down to putting out about 1/2 the amount of water/coffee that I selected.

So I ordered another Keurig, this time the Keurig Supreme Plus with Multi-Stream. It came in Tuesday. FINALLY Coffee with taste like when we made coffee in a pot. The single stream Keurig give coffee flavor but weak unless one chooses 6 oz. The MultiStream injects the water through 5 needles. GREAT flavor. For general use, I like Columbian, and now the columbian flavor is much more than before in the older single stream Keurig.

TODAY, I spent about 4 hours playing with the old Keurig, taking it apart, putting it back together, cleaning tubes and valves. Looking at YouTube "Fix your Keurig" videos. One would say, clean the bottom valve, (which wasn't the problem to begin with); another, clean the top needle which is one of the first things I did last week; Another said to clean the valve in before the needle. That was interesting and on taking it apart, I could see how it might be the problem, but it wasn't. Put it back together and the same thing - 1 ounce of water, pause, slow stream.

In addition, I had my air compressor hose and blew air here, there and yonder in the different pipes. From the beginning, knowing that all valves were clean, I suspected the pump in some way was weak. I blew the motor out, and thought about spraying WD-40 and then decided not to. On occasion, it would work fine as long as I didn't have any pods in it, but add a pod and it went slow. The slow stream going through the pod acted like drag on an engine. The engine works fine without a load, but add a load and it could not handle it. This is what was happening. Again, all valves, needle valves were clean, clean clean, as were hoses. The only logical conclusion was weak motor.

Spent the day troubleshooting the old Keurig. Couldn't fix it.

But I do have a MultiStream Keurig and plenty of FLAVOR now.
                      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• twistsol
                        twistsol commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have a drip coffee maker with a single cup brew thingy attached. I have pods for hazelnut, vanilla and carmel something or another. Guests use it, I drink french roast by the pot and making one cup at a time seems inefficient to me.

• dbhost

dbhost
                        commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I get the attraction for light coffee drinkers. Convenient, and very little if anything to clean up. just pop the pod out and throw it away. No carafe to clean, but the water vessel can get funky. However I now digress...

The K cup brewer has a certain appeal for quick no fuss make a single cup approach to coffee, and it certainly beats the snot out of instant coffee, or those funky tea bag coffees of years ago.

If you have flavors that rarely get used, yeah pods for guests kind of make sense. I personally go through a LOT of Private Selection Caramel Truffle. And i use one of those 30oz stainless tumlbers... I bet I know why I have insomnia though...

• leehljp
                        leehljp commented
                        Editing a comment
                        IF you guys have not tried the multi-stream, you are missing the point by a long shot. I was about to go back to, or at least try once a week for the rich flavor of perked or brewed coffee. Then I saw the multi stream on Amazon. Believe it or not, I kept saying that the single needle of Keurig wasn't getting all of the flavor of the coffee in the pods. On many occasions, I backed down the cup serve size to 6 oz and it was better, but not great. I often use the custom cup of my favorite coffees in fine grind. It is with these that I noticed how the single needle streams worked. Hot water was pressured through from the center, a dimple in the middle where the water squirted through and it appeared that a the water did not equally or evenly flow through all of the coffee in the custom pod that I filled. I saw this repeatedly. That flaw and weak coffee taste has been fixed - by the multi-stream version. It tastes like the brewed coffees I used to drink in Japan. (I have used a Keurig since returning.). My problem with brewed is that I will drink one or two cups in the morning and just hate to pour out the rest. I hate two and three hour old coffee, or coffee that has been re-heated, so a 4 to 6 cup of brewed coffee is half wasted. For me it has been a battle - flavor and waste some, or no waste and little flavor. Now I can have my cake and eat it two. I have found in one week that my coffee drinking has picked up, because It is instant, it is not wasted, it is highly flavorfully fresh. BTW, I use the custom cup/reloadable use my own flavors and decafs. The Multi-Stream is nothing like the older single stream Keurigs. Oh, and one more thing - My first cup of coffee in the morning is Hazelnut by the Coffee Beanery. Been using that since the late '80s. No other hazelnut tastes like that. but the kCups were weak. Now it has the flavor like it did when I used drip coffee times.
                        Last edited by leehljp; 04-17-2022, 07:41 PM.
                    Working...