• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • furthermore
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2020
    • North Yarmouth, ME
    • Ryobi BT3K

I haven't managed to do much lately between the freezing temps and my in-laws being here. We have had some great snow deposited (perhaps you'd heard of that bomb cyclone we had), so I've spent a lot of my free time sledding. We're blessed with a nice hill and a good runout into some field and no trees, so you can get a tube going pretty fast.

You gotta have fun in the middle of a storm somehow!

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

For me this morning 2/3/22 Driving around local - picked up some propane bottles for camp cooker in case we need it. Ice, Ice, Ice on trees and power lines. Standing outside when back at the house, it sounds like rifle shots every couple of minutes and some followed by a few loud booms as something heavy hits the ground. The Wind comes and goes, If outside, it is easy to see the wind come in gusts and sway the tops of trees, followed by the rifle shot sounds in different directions, and the thud/booms. A couple of times I felt a small tremor after the thuds. It is close.

12:30 PM, town without electricity, town looks funny without lights at night. We have gas heat, and one heater in a fireplace (living room) that uses natural gas, so we are camped in the living room. Many trees down along with a plethora of large limbs down in every yard. Wind, along with the ice is still causing havoc even at 9:30 at night.

I have a few external lithium battery packs for my electronics, which lets me check the weather through my computer being tethered to the iPhone to the internet, and the camp stove cooked a good meal. My 9 18V Ryobi batteries have come in very handy with my two Ryobi LED lights. Camping is different in todays world!
      Last edited by leehljp; 02-03-2022, 10:40 PM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Most of the day was spent catching up on shopping. What a waste of time. At least I was able to get several productive hours polishing a couple Tiny Trees. When I came in the house at 7pm the temperature had started to drop, down to 70.
        Last edited by capncarl; 02-03-2022, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Ordered the ducting, and elbows to finish up the 5" conversion to the shop. It should all be here Monday. Yes I took the free shipping from Home Depot... I don't want to go out in the cold weather....
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I got a shipment confirmation for a Bowflex C7 spin bike I ordered last week.. After my elliptical died at the end of December, I started riding my bike mounted on a Kinetic fluid trainer. Last week I went through the second tire of the year on my bike. The first one was old and had over a thousand road miles on it so I didn't think much of it. The second tire was new and lasted about 130 miles on the trainer. The Kinetic has a textured roller that the tire runs on that provides resistance. When you're doing sprints and jump from pedaling at 130 watts to 200 or more watts, it basically grinds the rubber off the tires. At $50 a tire, this was going to get expensive in a hurry.

The black specks on the floor are the tire bits after a 15 mile ride. I still hate riding indoors, but the Zwift app makes it tolerable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2542.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	848092
            Chr's

Comment

• Jim Frye
              Jim Frye commented
              Editing a comment
              I had similar detris on the floor under my bike and thought the Kinetic fan trainer axle was the cause. Bugged me because the friction axle is smooth and I don't have the tension cranked up. I thought the tire was shedding the raised center rib on the tire since the tire is really, really old. Closer inspection revealed it was dried up chain lube that had built up in the derailleur wheels and was flaking off. Shame on me. The bike actually needs a complete cleanup, but for now the drive train will get the TLC. I use a 24" LED TV on a table for entertainment on my basement "rides".
              Last edited by Jim Frye; 02-04-2022, 10:14 PM.
          • dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Moved some things around. Particularly swapped the grinder / sharpening station over to by the overhead door, moved the slip top stand where the sharpening station was, and in turn, moved the rolling clamp rack to where the left of the flip top stand. This will not be an issue with the new one once the new ducting is intsalled and second stand built.

Started sorting goodies out of the mystery tote and putting it where it belongs.
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

I was going to work in the shop most of the day but at 10am my hunting buddy called and said his back yard was full of wild hogs, 28 hogs per his neighbors camera, and he had just shot us a nice one from through his bedroom window. It doesn’t get much easier than this. My wife and I headed over to help quarter it up. We were done and had lunch and back to the house by 12:30. My cut was a shoulder, a butt and blackstrap. Today’s temperature was 70 degrees with some rain. It started drizzling some and I wished I had brought a long sleeved shirt to wear over my T shirt.

photo of the 70 lb porker

Click image for larger version

Name:	8300EA7F-E038-4742-9DBA-90E9A8C4A1F3.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	848100

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I'm done in the shop for the day. Moved the lower run behind the workbench up so it can be pulled from the ceiling run instead of accross the floor, but until the 5" comes the system will be open. I also need to tape the joints to avoid leaks.

I realized pretty quickly the last few times I ran the table saw, I was an idiot and forgot to open the blast gate. So now I have a giant pile of sawdust on the floor.

Comment

• capncarl
                  capncarl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Some of the dust collector piping suppliers offer a actuated blast gate. They are quite pricey. We need to build an activation system that uses parts that can be scrounged off common shop junk…. Without having to use an APP! On my compound slider saw the blast gate is right beside the cabinet so I was going to put a long dowel on the gate that could be easily reached. I haven’t done it yet because it seems that most of the time I forget to turn the collector on anyway!
              • Jim Frye
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Maumee, OH, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Totally screwed up a very simple procedure cutting a board to size. First, I ripped the board too wide, not a biggie, just cut it again to the correct width. Then I cut the board a inch too short. I measured for the size of the piece multiple times to make sure I had it right, but transferred the measurements wrong. "The hurrier I go, the behinder I get". Fortunately, it wasn't a large piece and I was able to find a substitute in the scraps stacks. I finished the glue up and bailed from the shop before I really messed something up.Going to abuse the recliner for awhile in safety.
                Jim Frye
                The Nut in the Cellar.
                ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Jim Frye
                  Totally screwed up a very simple procedure cutting a board to size. First, I ripped the board too wide, not a biggie, just cut it again to the correct width. Then I cut the board a inch too short. I measured for the size of the piece multiple times to make sure I had it right, but transferred the measurements wrong. "The hurrier I go, the behinder I get". Fortunately, it wasn't a large piece and I was able to find a substitute in the scraps stacks. I finished the glue up and bailed from the shop before I really messed something up.Going to abuse the recliner for awhile in safety.
                  There are days like that. Fortunately I don't think ,many of us here do it for a living so we can go inside, kick back and start again another day when stuff goes wrong. If unchecked it usually happens in threes, right?
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Did my Home Depot run for the 2x4s for the second flip top tool stand. Came home with some shockingly straight boards.

Set up the table saw and nibbled away the half laps. Probably should have dug out my dado stack and did it quicker and flatter, but after a quick pass of 40 grit on the ROS they are nice and flat, and given a dry fit the joints are nice flush, and square.

Did I forget to mention the dust collection ducting is dismantled for the 5" upgrade and I nibbled half laps in 2x4s?

What the heck was I thinking?

My wife likes full depth shelves in the linen closets, and my homebuilder does not. So I am having to extend the shelves, but I am also not wanting to do this bathroom with plywood shelves like the other one...

So I pulled the nearly 40 year old pine shelves out of the linen closet, cleaned up the edges, dug out the biscuit joiner and a glue bottle, some bit F clamps and had a good go at it. First two are in glue right now

I'm going to make the best o the panels I can salvage, rip them to depth and run a bullnose on them, and of course insure the fitment, move on to the next.

I know with the original shelving I can reclaim enough of this lumber to get 3 of the 5 shelves, but this is where it gets odd.

I couldn't source up 1x12 today, widest I could find was 1x8, which means 3 piece glue ups to get my 17" depth. , Or a 2 piece and have a 1" recess, I doubt she will be happy with that...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Took the GKs to the Chinatown New Years celebration performances of the Dragons. Turned out to be a beautiful day. Took lots of pictures.

some pictures attached.

Too cold in the shop to work, just took a few measurements to investigate an idea.
                      Attached Files
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• duramen
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jan 2022

Does anybody here have a diary? ?? Do you know what a diary is? People used to write about their daily activities in their diaries. Their biggest worry was keeping everyone (especially their kid sister) from reading them. Now everyone posts their diaries online, and it seems that the only person who doesn't want to read their sister's diary is Britney Spears.

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
                          commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I keep a prayer journal, I use this thread though as a way to well honestly, encourage others, and get some encouragement for what is going on with others with interests similar to mine. You can consider it more or less like an online shop journal.
                      • LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Diary, Is that where you keep the milk cows?

Isn't this thread becoming a group diary?
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
                          commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Diary A.K.A. Journal. Dairy AKA farm with cows, goats whatever that produces milk for collection and processing... IA vs AI...

• duramen
                          duramen commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Originally posted by LCHIEN
                          [...] Isn't this thread becoming a group diary?
                          My point exactly, and the group is very small.
                      • dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Pretty sure I mentioned this stuff already, but not sure if it is 'rona or just seasonal crud due to the rapidly changing weather, but I woke up today coughing up a lung. Just nasty.

Early on, glued up the second side panel, waited for clamp time to be done, and went ahead cut the rabbet on the inside. Trying to dig into my cutoffs so I can get the needed pegboard.

Put on a pot of Caldo de Pollo (Mexican chicken vegetable soup).

Cut to size, edge jointed,biscuited and glued up the 1x8 stock that was allegedly S4S. This stuff was pretty awful, but is what is is...I need to measure up the 2x6s I have in stock and see if I have enough that I can plane down / edge joint, biscuit and glue up to finish up the 5th shelf... These things are going ot be painted and covered with shelf paper so no worries about multiple joint glue ups. Again just closet shelves...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          LCHIEN commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Did you ever send you SAK (Swiss army knife) off to get it fixed? You said you were going to do that after new years.

• dbhost

dbhost
                          commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not yet. Debating doing it. I know it sounds stupid, but I want to be sure I get the same knife back. A pocket knife from my Dad with a broken tip is worth way more than a replacement pocket knife to me... It is a sentimentality thing...

• LCHIEN
                          LCHIEN commented
                          Editing a comment
                          They have to break the plastic pieces off the sides but they send them back to you. Then they disassemble the knife to replace the broken blade, reassemble it and replace the plastic with new. Not bad for $10 but then half your knife will be new.
                      Working...