• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

showing off a little wood photography

Took this photo today nice cool dry sunny day in Houston (what a rare combination) with my macro lens...
    Some faux birdhouses (decorative) made for the wife quite a few years ago showing their character achieved over time.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_26871.jpg Views:	3 Size:	173.9 KB ID:	845545
    And one of those noisy cicada, or at least his exoskeleton he left behind... fresh, he left as I was getting the camera, too slow again. Clinging to a well weathered cedar fence, love that deep weathered grain.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_26872.jpg Views:	3 Size:	193.1 KB ID:	845546
    Click on the pictures to see full resolution.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-25-2021, 01:04 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Good photo work.
    Interesting photo of a cicada, scary looking critter. I can’t remember ever seeing one of these in the wild, except when they were crawling up a tree to do their exeoskeleton shed. Maybe I didn’t not realize what they were in the soil, maybe they were the thumb size butt ugly grub at the time. Today I noticed 25 on the east facing side of a pine tree. They like to climb up objects early in the morning in full sun to dry out for their shed. The west side of the tree only had 5-6.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

They are not too graceful. One flew into the shop and was crashing off the walls and mostly off my shop lights making a metallic clang on the sheet metal.
      The other night I noticed a neighborhood cat stalking on our patio... eventually he was climbing on the workbench a the shelves trying to catch a cicada.
      We also have cicada killer wasps stinging the emerging Cicadas and dragging the bodies back into their thumb-sized holes in dirt where they feed their babies.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-26-2021, 11:59 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...