• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Home Depot today

Wife needed some potting soil or dirt and we stopped at Home Depot.
    I went off to look around.

I ended up getting a pair of digital calipers to replace the Harbor freight ones that failed recently and also the plastic one I had forever (I think I got it early 90's for $50) that is going bad on me being unreliable that I keep in my drill press tool box.

I got it over another HF since HF offers no more discount coupons, even though it was a bit more expensive because HD has a lifetime guarantee, being a Husky branded tool.

I know that they don't last forever.

So the other news is that when I went to check out the clerk asked me if I wanted to add a two year extended warranty! I pointed to the lifetime guarantee text on the back and said it already has a lifetime warranty. Why do I want a 2-year one? She just shrugged.

I wonder how many people said yes.

The last remarkable thing is, I tried to log into Sawdustzone.com on my phone using their store Wi-Fi only to find Sawdustzone is a blocked website from HD's Wi-fi router. Odd? What have we ever done to earn the disapproval of Home Depot? Been too honest? I wonder if it's National or just local?
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-21-2021, 02:20 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • nicer20
    Established Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Dublin, CA
    • BT3100

With HF coupons gone, given that HF stores are not as easily accessible for me (30 mins each way) and only 90 days warranty in many cases, Husky & Kobalt brand tools that come with Lifetime warranty are making a lot more sense these days.

I think HF is loosing its luster in my opinion.

Comment

• woodturner
      woodturner commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure why people are saying HF coupons are gone, they do still have the 20% off coupons, just not all the time. They have broadened the terms to include almost everything though, so that is a plus.

• nicer20
      nicer20 commented
      Editing a comment
      woodturner it is unlike the old 20% off coupon that used to be valid for more than a month and there would always be another coming along before the first expires.

Yes they occasionally run 20% off coupons now but those are only valid for a weekend.

In my case, as I have stated earlier, the nearest HF store is 30-40 mins each way. So for me it no longer makes sense to rush on those special days to buy a little thing to save a couple of dollars.

On the other hand I used to find it useful to swing by the store anytime I am in that town, with that perennial 20% off coupon carried in my wallet and pick up items on my list that were not urgent.

I think a lot of folks are in my situation.

Just my $0.02
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Woodturner:
    Not sure why people are saying HF coupons are gone, they do still have the 20% off coupons, just not all the time. They have broadened the terms to include almost everything though, so that is a plus.
    Well, you must have different store managers than down my way. This past weekend, I got a HUGE Up to 30% coupon off any single item (except items already on sale - not written but the store manager said that is the way it means). But, But, the second key words were "up to", and key items were already on sale for 10% off and did not qualify for the "any single item".

There are other ways that the "occasional" coupons are written that prevents them from being used like the 20% coupons were. I have talked to the lady store manager about this and the things that others have mentioned on this forum. The store manager said I wasn't the only one upset with this. She also said, "that kind of gimmick might work with some people, but gimmick coupons don't sit well with those down South". She is from the area and I see here on occasion in other stores - Walmart - Krogers etc.
    Last edited by leehljp; 09-21-2021, 09:29 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      The last remarkable thing is, I tried to log into Sawdustzone.com on my phone using their store Wi-Fi only to find Sawdustzone is a blocked website from HD's Wi-fi router. Odd? What have we ever done to earn the disapproval of Home Depot? Been too honest? I wonder if it's National or just local?
      I'll need to go to HD with my iPad. Now I'm curious.
      Chr's

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I recently ordered a replacement shop window AC through HD. It was a non stock 18000 BTU Heat pump unit with a month delivery time. I really needed it bad as 100 degree heat was too much to handle in the shop whiteout ac. It arrived several days early! on a Thursday, I recieved their email announcing its arrival in town and would receive another email for curbside pickup. I arranged for an appliance store to help with the install. Sounds great? The delivery truck evidently dropped the trailer off at HD. After several phone calls I found out that their receiving crew doent work on weekends, and obviously not much on Friday either. Monday they said it would be Tuesday before they got it off the truck. I dropped by the store Monday anyway and the customer service desk said it was ready for pick up.

My next thrilling experience was with an upright freeze…. With a month delivery time. We needed a larger unit and already had our freezer promised for sale. After waiting the 30 days I recieved a notification that it would be another month! I looked online and found the exact freezer at a furniture freight store in our town, in stock and $50 cheaper. I canceled the order and bought the other freezer. So much for trying to support our local HD.

Comment

• nicer20
          nicer20 commented
          Editing a comment
          Supply chains everywhere are constrained. Even in my day job in the high tech industry we are constantly being reminded of challenges facing component shortages - and this is a global phenomenon that is impacting equipment manufacturers with their production. Just my $0.02.
      Working...