• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Custom-ish roof rack

My co-worker has the same year and model car that I do and he offered me his roof rack which he got from his neighbor. I should have asked more questions.

When he brought it to work, I knew right away it wasn't for our car, but I needed a rack and his heart was in the right place so I gladly accepted.

Before I left the US, I bought some square aluminum tubing, stainless steel bolts, stainless steel locknuts, split washers, etc.

The factory rack is bolted to the roof at four points. I made spacers out of the Al tubing, drilled holes for the through bolts, and then modified the rack feet to attach to more square tubing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210411_215016983.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	843666

Name:	PXL_20210411_215149726.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	843667

I have family visiting in the fall so now I'm thinking about fashioning a roof basket for carrying our luggage. I also have a bike fork mount that I plan to attach to it.

The rainy season is supposed.to start in a couple weeks so I might look for some rubber for some weather proofing or only mount the rack when I need it.

Name:	PXL_20210411_215548361.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	843668
    Paul
  • Black walnut
    Administrator
    • Aug 2015
    • BT3K

Well done!
    just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Not waterproof?
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        Not waterproof?
        I need to figure that out or only use it when the sun is out. It's just 4 bolts so it's easy to take on/off.

I was thinking about cutting some stiff, thin plastic (milk jug?) to overlap the existing cutout, and then laying a bead of silicone caulk on the edge of the plastic. After it's dry, it would get sandwiched between the 2 Al blocks to keep the rain out. I'm not sure if the caulk is sticky enough to adhere to polypropylene, though.

We've had about 30min of rain total since November/December, but the forecast is showing a solid week of rain starting tomorrow. At least my parking spot is covered.

Comment

Working...