Do you still have a school shop project?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seahawk
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2012
    • Maryland
    • BT 3000 x 2!

Do you still have a school shop project?

Who still has a project they made in shop class? I was sorting through some items, and found a project I had made in 7th grade, an apple shaped recipe holder, and another my father made when in school, sometime around 1940, a dog shaped holder for a small box of matches. If you still have a project you made in shop class, please share the story, and if you have a photo, post.
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I've posted this before and you can see it in the link below. This was a 4h project for the county fair and I was generously awarded a red ribbon for it.

First woodworking project. Stool for 4H

A recent post got me thinking about my first project ever. Astonishingly, I still have it and use it in the garage almost every day. I made this as a 4H
    Chr's

Comment

• Dedpedal
      Established Member
      • Feb 2020
      • Palm Coast Florida
      • One BT3000 in use and one for parts. Plus a BT3100

Tha only thing I had left that I kept for myself was a set of shelves for my beer can collection. Unfortunately it didn’t make the move to Florida as someone stole it from the front porch after we left it there for a friend to come get that night.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Ha, no, I never took shop in highschool, since I was in the Orchestra as my "elective" and computer science which was a good choice.
        I didn't get the wood bug and projects until I was assistant pack leader for my son's cub scouts and had to help them do some stuff.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

The only pic I have (my Dad just sent it) is of this toolbox I made for him in 8th grade metal shop from the late 80s. He said it's 13" long and 5 1/2" tall at the peak. Looks like I need to get some Rust-oleum in there before all his tools bust out the bottom.

I remember being pretty pleased with this one. All the bends were good and it was square. The handle is hand riveted onto the box.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20210215-195953.png Views:	0 Size:	763.7 KB ID:	842989

I also remember a small rectangular keepsake box with my name stamped on the lid. That little box was really hard to make and I remember trying to make that lid twice. I remember bluing one side and then using a scratch awl to mark out all the places to bend. I know everything was laid out right, but I could not get accurate parallel and perpendicular bends on the brake so the lid was a bit crooked. I ran out of class time to attempt a 3rd time.

Paul
          Last edited by atgcpaul; 02-15-2021, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

I didn't take shop in school but during the summers I went to the YMCA a block from my mother's work. I still have a pair of book ends I made for her when I was 12. I use them to this day even though almost 60 years have taken a toll on the pine horses.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bookends.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	842996
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

That was a very long time ago, and most everything that was made was for my parents. I made a sheet-metal tool box for my father and a screwdriver. As I recall the box has long ago rusted, but that screwdriver was still around long after I got married. Those were in metal shop in 1959 as I recall. In 1958 I remember making a one-tube AM radio. Simple bent sheet aluminum base to hide the wiring and the tube socket was on top with a front panel for the volume and tuning. A year or two before I had seen the movie "Spirit of St. Louis" and one scene showed a machinist putting swirl marks on the engine cowling sheet aluminum. So I did that to the front of my radio and the teacher thought it was really cool, guess he didn't see the movie. I used a wood dowel on a drill press.

I didn't take wood shop until my senior year, for reason I've described before. First semester of that year we manufactured small wood desks and second year we built a building from a 2-stall garage plan we had from the previous year's class. We weren't allowed to make personal home projects. The teacher, Mr. Weaver thought "projects should be products", and so we made seventy or so desks and sold them to parents and friends. The second semester we build that garage-sized house which we took to the top of a hill late that spring and put it together. It served many years as a MARS (Military Affiliate Radio Service). The last time I was there was in 1972, so I don't know if it's still in service.

So, no pictures of stuff made back then. When I got married in 1967, Mom and Dad still had the things that us kids crafted, but I pretty much left everything behind except clothes, books, and my hiking gear. I recently posted this picture, which I found in my Yearbook a few months ago. It's just a few of us fabricating a roof truss for the MARS building, we're standing in the garage that the previous class had made, so you can see the approximate size. Our project divided it up into two rooms and we added a small bathroom. The plumbing was contracted as was the electrical service, but we did a lot of the wiring. (That's me just left of center, the guy with the glasses.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Shop Class 1962 Fabricating Truss.jpg Views:	0 Size:	138.6 KB ID:	843000
              Last edited by cwsmith; 02-17-2021, 12:35 PM.
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

Not mine, but I purchased this wood box with box joint drawers at a yard sale from the original builder. The gentleman was selling all of this tools and stuff in order for him to move closer to his daughter. He said he built it in high school wood shop class. ( I purchased it in aprox 2000) he said every student built one of these and several other useful items.
                I could have built more useful storage in my table saw cabinet but I like using something that others have made and enjoyed, so I imbedded it in the front of the saw.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EF28F7D9-E3F5-4A9B-A32B-1B368585AD7F.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	843002

Comment

Working...