• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Breakfast time! Reservations suggested.

Tried out my Christmas present, a long telephoto lens. 100-400mm on Micro four Thirds its like a 800mm zoom.

Handheld.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1130005enh.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.8 KB ID:	842106

100% crop of one bird
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P113005enhcrop100.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	842107
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-13-2021, 04:05 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Hi Loring, nice pictures.

Do you have a regular point and shoot, too? I've been researching some recently. I've decided to give up my Sony DSLR.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

What's regular mean anymore.
      I'm the 1% of people who use interchangeable lens cameras, because I like to take technically tough pictures. The other 99% think a regular camera is their smartphone and Apple marketing has them convinced its every bit as good as mine.
      In 2019 1500 million smartphones sold and 15 million digital cameras of all types not phones were sold.

I use a 12 year old Olympus Stylus 840 for my shop documentation pictures because its small, has a macro mode, fits in my pocket and takes 8 MP pictures that Sawdustzone will accept.
      I guess that's a point and shoot.

My camera of choice for family and travel and nature and photo experimentation is a Olympus OM-D E-M10 mkii (micro four thirds mirrorless) and I probably have a dozen or more lenses of various types that will fit it.
      Sawdustzone barfs at the high quality JPEG size, then it barfs at the pixel count, so its always a pain to load these pictures - I had to process this one down.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	PC030886sm.JPG Views:	0 Size:	96.6 KB ID:	842165
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-15-2021, 02:01 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I mosty stopped using my DSLR when the phones became as good for many things, and even better than it for some things. I have a set of Moment cases so I can affix high-quality lenses to it. Where else can you get a spectacular anamorphic lens for under $150?? And a really great fisheye for $100. I like my up-close photography, but did get a telephoto for it. Which I classify as "kit lens" quality, not great, not terrible. The number of things I can easily do with a phone, and results I can get, are things I fought with on SLRs all my life. I've been into photography as long as I can recall, did newspaper and wedding work, and will always be into it. But the world has changed, and outside of long telephoto, the high end phones beat most gear now. Particularly when employing the image processors, multiple internal lenses, and LIDAR to let you basically do in-camera what was barely possible even after hours in a darkroom.

Still have my dad's camera that we would shoot with together.

Name:	IMG_0296.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	842175

Comment

• gsmittle
          gsmittle commented
          Editing a comment
          A Pentax K-1000? Great camera—built like a truck and nearly indestructable. I still have my Canon A1 that I bought in 1980. I used to develop & print pictures but then picked up woodworking and that sucked up my photo time. Still have my darkroom equipment…

g.
      • Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

It's actually an ME Super, and unfortunately, doesn't work any more. Two camera shops looked at it and basically said there's no possible fix.

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Nice photo's Loring! I am challenged when it comes to nature photography. Sort of see it, grab the camera and try to get something, and I'm never happy with the results.

For example earlier this week I spotted a cardinal sitting at the top of the vines growing off the back deck and just shot this thru the upstairs library window. It's not sharp, but by the time I could have gotten downstairs and outside I know it would have been gone.

Name:	IMG_1872r.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	842203

I have a Canon 80D which is another crop-sensor camera. This was shot with a 55-250 mm zoom at 250 mm, which is equivalent to about 400 mm. I'm much better photographing mechanical objects.

I really love photography, and especially cameras with exchangeable lenses. I still have my old Canon F1 which I bought in 1982, but only have three lenses for it, a 50mm f1.4, 28 mm f2.8, and a 50 mm f3.5 macro. Those purchases were all driven by work and I have a Canon auto-bellows with attachments for macro work. I just bought the Canon 80D and it came with the 18-55mm 'kit' lens and the telephoto 55 - 250 mm zoom. I added two prime (non-zoom) lenses soon thereafter, the 50mm f1.8 and 24 mm f2.8. Since then, I added the 10-18 mm zoom and last Christmas my wife got me the 100 mm L-series macro, and a few months ago I picked up a 35mm macro, which actually has an integral ring-light built into it.

We don't travel, and so my photography skills just get used around the house. Taking pictures of shop stuff and graphics and of course where I hopefully can help someone who has a question that a photo or illustration might be helpful.

Again, nice photo!

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...