• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Blinded By The Light...

At 73 years, the eye doctors decided I had developed cataracts in both eyes and they were bad enough to need surgery. SWMBO already had the procedures for both eyes, so now it was my turn. Last week, the first eye was done and after the effects of the lens change operation had gone away, and I could see clearly out of the “new” eye, I discovered something rather remarkable. The color resolution in the repaired eye was so much better. I was looking at a neighbor’s house some distance away and alternatively closing each eye to compare the vision. The house is wrapped in white siding. However, the color in the old eye was noticeably tan, whereas the color in the new eye was very, very white. Maybe this was why I was having difficulty coloring the latest woodworking project evenly over the last two years. So now I will no longer need corrective glasses to drive, but will still need corrective glasses (readers) for close work.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

My wife has had it but I have not yet....

I'm glad its working for you. The change when we have the deterioration seems to be quite gradual and its startling when you see what you've been missing.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I saw the optometrist last month and he said the cataracts are beginning to increase and probably will need surgery in the next year or so. I honestly have been wondering about this lately as our house seems a tad darker. Its like fluorescent light bulbs beginning to dim. I asked my wife if she noticed any difference and she said she hasn't.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

This is probably something that is in my near future. Kitten had hers done a couple of years ago and no longer needs glasses. With lens implants she sees up close with one eye and distance with the other. Given the choice I would probably opt to have my distance vision corrected and still use glasses for up close things like reading and woodworking.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

My wife went through this a few years ago, having one eye done one year and the second a couple of years later. Neither experience was a happy one for her. The first had the wrong lens put in, and she couldn't see well out of the eye. Then the second, it eye was scratched, and while mending a film grew over her eye that had to be removed. Her eyes are better now, but she still can't see all that well and has had to give up driving.

I've been putting it off for a couple of years. The Doctor says I can have the surgery anytime, but knowing what my wife went through I'm not eager to do so. I've been wearing glasses since my early teens and while I know my eyesight isn't perfect, it's far better than hers and considering my life is greatly centered on my visual skills, I don't feel I want to risk that yet. I'm far-sighted in one eye and near-sighted in the other, so up to a few years ago, if I was caught without my glasses I'd still be good shape. Now without glasses I see double overlapping images. Makes letters blurred and if I look at the stars or moon at night it's sort of double vision. That would be problem driving at night, but with glasses I don't see that ill effect; not yet anyway.

One of the questions I have, is which is safer and more accurate, conventional cataract surgery or laser surgery? Like I said, I'm on the fence as to what I want to do, at least to the point where I absolutely see significant problem. As it is now, I can read road signs, at significant distance and have no problem with my drawing, writing, or photography. But, my eyes seem to change from day to day too. Some days my vision is sharp and on others it's not so much. My latest exam was just three weeks ago and the Doctor said my vision had actually grown sharper than my exam last year. Of course that was a good day, two days later he would have probably told me it was worse. Such is the question to which my answer is "not yet".

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

I had the cataract removal/implant on my right eye last year. Closing my right eye I could read ok, but if I closed my left eye everything was blurry. An Option was regular lens which provided good distance vision and close would required reading glasses, this was paid for by Medicare. Option 2 the lens corrected distance and close in reading for an additional cost to me. I chose option 2 and have not regretted it. The only consequence I have encountered is scratchy eyes which is relieved with eye drops. Now I notice my left eye is blurry and will try to have the same operation in early spring if possible.
            I would not put off this corrective procedure, your vision only gets worse.
            capncarl

Comment

• Jim Frye
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Maumee, OH, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I opted for the laser guided distance lens operation ($1,800 per eye out of pocket). The multi focus lens procedure cost $3,600 for each eye. Insurance paid for the rest. I ended up with 20/25 eyesight, so I will use readers for close work only.
              Jim Frye
              The Nut in the Cellar.
              ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

Working...